Alternative to Bonsai?

Philip Chee

Sep 15, 2015, 11:08:52 AM9/15/15
The Bonsai server +infra is gone. Is there an alternative?

Is there a mercurial repository that has a unified history of
mozilla-central plus cvs history? Bonus if it also includes comm-central.

Phil

--
Philip Chee <phi...@aleytys.pc.my>, <phili...@gmail.com>

Ben Hearsum

Sep 15, 2015, 11:11:21 AM9/15/15
On 2015-09-15 11:08 AM, Philip Chee wrote:
> The Bonsai server +infra is gone. Is there an alternative?
>
> Is there a mercurial repository that has a unified history of
> mozilla-central plus cvs history? Bonus if it also includes comm-central.
>
> Phil

I'm pretty sure https://github.com/mozilla/gecko-dev has full history.
Eg: I see that https://github.com/mozilla/gecko-dev/blob/master/LICENSE
has an initial commit in 1998.

Joshua Cranmer 🐧

Sep 15, 2015, 11:14:44 AM9/15/15
There is no git or mercurial repository that contains the full history
of mozilla CVS. Slightly unsurprising, since the full history of mozilla
CVS actually breaks most conversion tools.

--
Joshua Cranmer
Thunderbird and DXR developer

Philipp Kewisch

Sep 15, 2015, 11:26:24 AM9/15/15
On 9/15/15 5:14 PM, Joshua Cranmer 🐧 wrote:
> On 9/15/2015 10:11 AM, Ben Hearsum wrote:
>> On 2015-09-15 11:08 AM, Philip Chee wrote:
>>> The Bonsai server +infra is gone. Is there an alternative?
>>>
>>> Is there a mercurial repository that has a unified history of
>>> mozilla-central plus cvs history? Bonus if it also includes
>>> comm-central.
>>>
>>> Phil
>>>
>> I'm pretty sure https://github.com/mozilla/gecko-dev has full history.
>> Eg: I see that https://github.com/mozilla/gecko-dev/blob/master/LICENSE
>> has an initial commit in 1998.
>
> There is no git or mercurial repository that contains the full history
> of mozilla CVS. Slightly unsurprising, since the full history of mozilla
> CVS actually breaks most conversion tools.

Here is one shot at it, it has served me quite well:
https://github.com/ehsan/mozilla-cvs-history

Philipp

Neil

Sep 15, 2015, 11:53:45 AM9/15/15
Joshua Cranmer 🐧 wrote:

> There is no git or mercurial repository that contains the full history
> of mozilla CVS. Slightly unsurprising, since the full history of
> mozilla CVS actually breaks most conversion tools.

Even "CVS moved" files throw them a loop, I tried looking for blame for
some code recently and got unstuck because of this.

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.

Boris Zbarsky

Sep 15, 2015, 11:54:01 AM9/15/15
On 9/15/15 11:11 AM, Ben Hearsum wrote:
> I'm pretty sure https://github.com/mozilla/gecko-dev has full history.

Though note that it doesn't have working blame for a lot of files in our
source tree (and especially the ones you'd _want_ to get blame for, in
my experience), so it's of pretty limited use if you're trying to do the
sorts of things you used to be able to do with bonsai.

I believe gps is working on standing up a web front end for the CVS repo
blame to replace bonsai...

-Boris

Joshua Cranmer 🐧

Sep 15, 2015, 12:25:46 PM9/15/15
FWIW, I did try to import something using what appears to be the best
quality CVS exporter (cvs-fast-export), only to run into a problem that
we apparently landed some files on CVS branches that got merged into
mainline, which causes the generated revision graph to be cyclic (which,
as the author to said project confessed, was both known and extremely
hard to fix). Well, and I had to bump several "maximum repository
complexity" defines :-) .

smaug

Sep 15, 2015, 1:01:46 PM9/15/15
I guess that is unofficially http://52.25.115.98/viewvc/main/

> -Boris

Gregory Szorc

Sep 15, 2015, 1:05:37 PM9/15/15
to Philip Chee, dev-platform
On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 8:08 AM, Philip Chee <phili...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Bonsai server +infra is gone. Is there an alternative?
>
> Is there a mercurial repository that has a unified history of
> mozilla-central plus cvs history? Bonus if it also includes comm-central.

https://hg.mozilla.org/users/gszorc_mozilla.com/gecko-full is a Mercurial
repo with CVS history. More info at
http://gregoryszorc.com/blog/2015/05/18/firefox-mercurial-repository-with-cvs-history/.
Yes, it hasn't been updating. If I had infinite time I would stand this up
as something more permanent.

You may find bug 1200362 and the link in comment #1 useful. I still need to
make a more permanent home for it. Hopefully this ties people over until I
have time.

People did some wonky things with the CVS repository back in the day. e.g.
people would SSH into the server and manually edit files inside the repo
*without* using CVS commands. hwine and people such as dbaron who were
around in the early days of Mozilla can tell you more. The takeaway is that
no conversion of the CVS repository to {Mercurial, Git, ... } will have
perfect history. In theory, we could have someone spend a few months
pouring over the repository and hand crafting a more proper conversion. I
doubt that will ever happen.

Philip Chee

Sep 16, 2015, 2:38:59 AM9/16/15
On 15/09/2015 23:53, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 9/15/15 11:11 AM, Ben Hearsum wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure https://github.com/mozilla/gecko-dev has full history.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

> Though note that it doesn't have working blame for a lot of files in our
> source tree (and especially the ones you'd _want_ to get blame for, in
> my experience), so it's of pretty limited use if you're trying to do the
> sorts of things you used to be able to do with bonsai.
>
> I believe gps is working on standing up a web front end for the CVS repo
> blame to replace bonsai...

But we don't have a working CVS repository any more right?

Phil (is confused)

Boris Zbarsky

Sep 16, 2015, 1:22:37 PM9/16/15
On 9/16/15 2:38 AM, Philip Chee wrote:
> But we don't have a working CVS repository any more right?

I could be confused, but I believe the CVS repo exists. It can
certainly be used in a read-only mode. I don't know whether it allows
commits.

-Boris

Ehsan Akhgari

Sep 16, 2015, 2:01:45 PM9/16/15
to Boris Zbarsky, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
On 2015-09-15 11:53 AM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 9/15/15 11:11 AM, Ben Hearsum wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure https://github.com/mozilla/gecko-dev has full history.
>
> Though note that it doesn't have working blame for a lot of files in our
> source tree (and especially the ones you'd _want_ to get blame for, in
> my experience), so it's of pretty limited use if you're trying to do the
> sorts of things you used to be able to do with bonsai.

Out of curiosity, which files are you mentioning here?

Boris Zbarsky

Sep 16, 2015, 2:13:16 PM9/16/15
On 9/16/15 2:01 PM, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:
> Out of curiosity, which files are you mentioning here?

Here are some lovely links that all produce "This blame took too long to
generate. Sorry about that." for me:

https://github.com/mozilla/gecko-dev/blame/master/layout/base/nsCSSFrameConstructor.cpp

https://github.com/mozilla/gecko-dev/blame/master/dom/base/nsDocument.cpp

https://github.com/mozilla/gecko-dev/blame/master/dom/base/nsGlobalWindow.cpp

I have not done an exhaustive search for such files in our tree, but
just those three represent a significant fraction of my blame lookups...

-Boris

Gregory Szorc

Sep 16, 2015, 2:15:51 PM9/16/15
to Boris Zbarsky, dev-platform
We no longer have a CVS server.

Snapshots of the repositories can be found at
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/vcs-archive/. cvs-main contains
Firefox.

ViewVC works by reading from a CVS repository. But it doesn't run a CVS
server nor does it expose the raw CVS files to the internet.

Jeff Muizelaar

Sep 16, 2015, 3:02:08 PM9/16/15
to Boris Zbarsky, Mozilla
Blame does work on those files locally. FWIW, fugitive vim's Gblame
command has the ability to jump back to the blame of parent revision
of the current line which makes it much easier to navigate history
than any web based blame tool that I've seen. Even if you only use vim
for GBlame I'd say it's still worth using.

-Jeff

Boris Zbarsky

Sep 16, 2015, 4:28:32 PM9/16/15
On 9/16/15 3:02 PM, Jeff Muizelaar wrote:
> Blame does work on those files locally.

Sure. Locally everything is fine.

As soon as there is good integration between dxr/mxr and local stuff,
and as soon as I can send someone a sane text representation of a local
blame display, we can just drop web blame. ;)

-Boris

Philip Chee

Aug 25, 2016, 3:09:23 PM8/25/16
This is fine until I ran into a revision that said "Landed Aviary
(browser part) which is just a very large diff. I remember MXR had an
Aviary branch tree...

Andrew McCreight

Aug 25, 2016, 3:23:08 PM8/25/16
to dev-platform
Searchfox works pretty well for blame including the CVS history, including
large files that github won't show you.

Boris Zbarsky

Aug 25, 2016, 4:08:55 PM8/25/16
On 8/25/16 3:22 PM, Andrew McCreight wrote:
> Searchfox works pretty well for blame including the CVS history, including
> large files that github won't show you.

The point is in this case the CVS history has a single crash-landing,
unless you look at the (different) aviary branch CVS repo.

-Boris

Philip Chee

Aug 26, 2016, 12:38:55 PM8/26/16
Precisely.