Grupos de Google ya no admite publicaciones ni suscripciones nuevas de Usenet. El contenido anterior sigue visible.

Proposed W3C Charter: Web of Things Interest Group

42 vistas
Ir al primer mensaje no leído

L. David Baron

no leída,
14 jun 2016, 5:06:39 a.m.14/6/16
para dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
The W3C is proposing a revised charter for:

Web of Things Interest Group
https://w3c.github.io/wot/charters/wot-ig-2016.html
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-new-work/2016Jun/0008.html

Mozilla has the opportunity to send comments or objections through
Friday, July 15.

Please reply to this thread if you think there's something we should
say as part of this charter review, or if you think we should
support or oppose it.

-David

--
𝄞 L. David Baron http://dbaron.org/ 𝄂
𝄢 Mozilla https://www.mozilla.org/ 𝄂

mar...@marcosc.com

no leída,
20 jun 2016, 4:38:56 a.m.20/6/16
para
On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 7:06:39 PM UTC+10, David Baron wrote:

> Please reply to this thread if you think there's something we should
> say as part of this charter review, or if you think we should
> support or oppose it.

It seems to go off into the RDF/XML weeds and tries to mask itself as something different to IoT (whatever that is). I think we should oppose it as it seems that whatever the result is, will not be Web friendly (in the sense that it won't work with web browsers, JS APIs, etc.).

L. David Baron

no leída,
22 jun 2016, 12:19:01 p.m.22/6/16
para mar...@marcosc.com,dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
So opposing it takes both a good bit of energy and a potentially a
good bit of political capital (in that it might reduce the
seriousness with which people take future objections that we make).
Do you think it's actually worth getting involved here? If so,
would you be willing to help write the objection?
signature.asc

Benjamin Francis

no leída,
22 jun 2016, 1:14:42 p.m.22/6/16
para L. David Baron,Marcos Caceres,dev-platform
On 22 June 2016 at 17:18, L. David Baron <dba...@dbaron.org> wrote:

> So opposing it takes both a good bit of energy and a potentially a
> good bit of political capital (in that it might reduce the
> seriousness with which people take future objections that we make).
> Do you think it's actually worth getting involved here? If so,
> would you be willing to help write the objection?

Can we make suggestions about how to improve the charter rather than just
oppose it? I don't necessarily agree with the technical approach the group
is currently taking, but I do agree that the Web of Things could be a
valuable area for standardisation, as a layer of abstraction above various
incompatible IoT protocols which makes "things" linkable, discoverable and
interoperable via URLs.

Perhaps the effort should be more focused on use cases and real world
implementations before, as Marcos says, going off into the RDF weeds.

Anne van Kesteren

no leída,
22 jun 2016, 1:20:18 p.m.22/6/16
para Benjamin Francis,L. David Baron,Marcos Caceres,dev-platform
On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 7:14 PM, Benjamin Francis <bfra...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Can we make suggestions about how to improve the charter rather than just
> oppose it? I don't necessarily agree with the technical approach the group
> is currently taking, but I do agree that the Web of Things could be a
> valuable area for standardisation, as a layer of abstraction above various
> incompatible IoT protocols which makes "things" linkable, discoverable and
> interoperable via URLs.
>
> Perhaps the effort should be more focused on use cases and real world
> implementations before, as Marcos says, going off into the RDF weeds.

We should just let them do their thing and do our thing elsewhere.
Otherwise you get another payments and nobody wins.

I recommend reading through http://dbaron.org/log/2006-08#e20060818a.
A decade old, but nothing changed.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/

Martin Thomson

no leída,
23 jun 2016, 3:26:07 a.m.23/6/16
para Anne van Kesteren,L. David Baron,Marcos Caceres,Benjamin Francis,dev-platform
On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 3:19 AM, Anne van Kesteren <ann...@annevk.nl> wrote:
> We should just let them do their thing and do our thing elsewhere.

This seems like a reasonable plan. Unless and until someone thinks
that a course correction is feasible, or decides that it's worth
trying.
0 mensajes nuevos