Intent to implement: Metrics API for FxOS data collection

Tamara Hills

May 1, 2015, 5:43:11 PM5/1/15
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi All,

This API would leverage the existing Gecko toolkit/components/telemetry
capabilities to provide histograms to Telemetry Servers for analysis by
data owners.

Bug: 1160634

Link to standard: No formal specifications that I was able to find on W3C
for this topic and I am not aware of any conversations with any other
browser vendors.

Platform coverage: This would only be available on Firefox OS. The plan
right now is to only have this available to certified apps. This may
change in the future, but we would come back to the list if that happens.

Estimated or target release: We are looking to have an initial set of
metrics exposed to FxOS by June 2015.

Preference behind which this will be implemented: Planning to use
dom.telemetry-api.enabled

DevTools bug: 1160645

Thank you,

Tamara Hills

David Rajchenbach-Teller

May 3, 2015, 7:23:01 AM5/3/15
to Tamara Hills, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
I like the idea. It would be interesting to see where a discussion with
other vendors could lead.

--
David Rajchenbach-Teller, PhD
Performance Team, Mozilla

signature.asc

Frederik Braun

May 4, 2015, 2:06:07 AM5/4/15
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
This is going to be a certified API, right?

On 01.05.2015 23:43, Tamara Hills wrote:
> Hi All,

> This API would leverage the existing Gecko toolkit/components/telemetry
> capabilities to provide histograms to Telemetry Servers for analysis by
> data owners.
>
> Bug: 1160634
>
> Link to standard: No formal specifications that I was able to find on W3C
> for this topic and I am not aware of any conversations with any other
> browser vendors.
>
> Platform coverage: This would only be available on Firefox OS. The plan
> right now is to only have this available to certified apps. This may
> change in the future, but we would come back to the list if that happens.
>
> Estimated or target release: We are looking to have an initial set of
> metrics exposed to FxOS by June 2015.
>
> Preference behind which this will be implemented: Planning to use
> dom.telemetry-api.enabled
>
> DevTools bug: 1160645
>
> Thank you,
>
> Tamara Hills

Kan-Ru Chen (陳侃如)

May 4, 2015, 5:14:43 AM5/4/15
Tamara Hills <thi...@mozilla.com> writes:

> This API would leverage the existing Gecko toolkit/components/telemetry
> capabilities to provide histograms to Telemetry Servers for analysis by
> data owners.

This is interesting. I wanted to do use the User Timing API to collect
performance telemetry data recently. Currently we collect the app
startup time data to http://raptor-ui.divshot.io/ but we plan to add
more probes to better understand the performance situation of Gaia
apps. Will this replace raptor in the long-term?

Kanru