Re: W3C Proposed Recommendation: HTML5 Web Messaging

L. David Baron

May 4, 2015, 1:46:13 PM5/4/15
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
On Wednesday 2015-04-08 17:03 -0700, L. David Baron wrote:
> W3C recently published the following proposed recommendation (the
> stage before W3C's final stage, Recommendation):
>
> HTML5 Web Messaging
> http://www.w3.org/TR/webmessaging/
>
> There's a call for review to W3C member companies (of which Mozilla
> is one) open until Tuesday, May 5.
>
> If there are comments you think Mozilla should send as part of the
> review, or if you think Mozilla should voice support or opposition
> to the specification, please say so in this thread. (I'd note,
> however, that there have been many previous opportunities to make
> comments, so it's somewhat bad form to bring up fundamental issues
> for the first time at this stage.)
>
> This is a specification that's the W3C version of a piece of the
> WHATWG HTML specification. It appears (from looking at code) to be
> something we implement, although I'm not sure if there are
> differences between the W3C and WHATWG versions, and I don't know
> anything about the status of our implementation.

So based on a quick look, it seems like the spec pretty closely
matches the relevant parts of the WHATWG HTML specification:
https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/comms.html (sections 9.1,
9.4, and 9.5).

Given the lack of any other comments, and the fact that we appear to
basically implement the spec (although we haven't quite kept up with
the latest changes, e.g., the addition of initMessageEvent), I'm
inclined to vote in favor without comments. (Also see the test
suite results at https://w3c.github.io/test-results/webmessaging/all
.)

-David

--