Intent to unship: MediaStream.currentTime

Paul Adenot

Oct 31, 2018, 11:36:29 AM10/31/18
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
This member has never been specced, never been implemented by any other implementors, and I can't find usage in public code anywhere apart from our Mochitests.

jib tells me that he's confident we can remove this without deprecating it first.

The code pattern to use is to assign a particular MediaStream to an `HTMLMediaElement,srcObject` and query the `currentTime` property of the `HTMLMediaElement`, or to use `AudioContext.createMediaStreamSource`, and, again, to query the `currentTime` property of the `AudioContext`. Gecko has always supported those code patterns. Also, the notion of a `currentTime` without playing the `MediaStream` somewhere does not even make sense, since we wouldn't know what clock domain this `MediaStream` is associated with.

This is being tracked in bug 1502927.

Thanks,
Paul.

Paul Adenot

Nov 7, 2018, 4:23:57 AM11/7/18
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
This has landed on central, and a note has been published on
fxsitecompat.com [0].

Thanks,
Paul.

[0]: