Cleopatra can take larger profiles now.

Mike Conley

Apr 30, 2015, 3:16:48 PM4/30/15
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
Good news everybody!

TL;DR: Cleopatra used to have a limitation where it would only accept
profiles of around 10MB. We've now made it so that Cleopatra can accept
much, much larger profiles. This is going to become increasingly
important as more profile-able processes get added.

As an added bonus, uploads should be much smaller, resulting in faster
upload times.

Here's the nitty-gritty:

The storage system we use for profiles is hosted on Google AppEngine.
When a user uploads a profile, we used to do server-side compression -
but the machine would run out of memory while attempting to compress a
large profile, and the OS would kill the process.

We have now exposed an endpoint that accepts pre-compressed profiles,
and added some code[1] to Cleopatra to do the client-side gzip[2]
compression of profiles.

So if you were all bummed out because Cleopatra couldn't accept your
gargantuan profiles, rejoice!

Thanks to jrmuizel and mstange for their server-side work and reviews.

-Mike

[1]:
https://github.com/bgirard/cleopatra/commit/fd7a0e08e51472c3f9b76447e386c44323dc4cbc
[2]: Emscripten'd zlib! https://github.com/kripken/zee.js