Intent to unship: <a> as <area> in image maps

Emilio Cobos Álvarez

Nov 8, 2017, 6:50:27 PM11/8/17
to dev-platform
Hi,

In bug 1317937 I intend to unship the feature of <a> elements acting the
same way as <area> elements in image maps.

This functionality was specced in HTML 4, but no other browser
implemented it and was removed from HTML 5.

Timothy (:tnikkel) tried to do it before, but it got blocked on getting
telemetry for this (bug 1350532).

Given that didn't advance for 8 months, that it blocks (or at least
simplifies a lot) longstanding bug 135040, which always bites again and
is a nice source of FIXME comments[1], and the fact that this is not
implemented anywhere else and is not in any spec anymore, we think it's
reasonable to just remove it, and we don't expect any webcompat fallout
from it.

Let me know if there's any concern about doing this.

-- Emilio

[1]: http://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/search?q=135040

Mike Taylor

Nov 9, 2017, 1:24:40 PM11/9/17
to Emilio Cobos Álvarez, compatibility, dev-platform

> On Nov 8, 2017, at 3:49 PM, Emilio Cobos Álvarez <emi...@crisal.io> wrote:
> In bug 1317937 I intend to unship the feature of <a> elements acting the
> same way as <area> elements in image maps.
>
> This functionality was specced in HTML 4, but no other browser
> implemented it and was removed from HTML 5.

> Given that didn't advance for 8 months, that it blocks (or at least
> simplifies a lot) longstanding bug 135040, which always bites again and
> is a nice source of FIXME comments[1], and the fact that this is not
> implemented anywhere else and is not in any spec anymore, we think it's
> reasonable to just remove it, and we don't expect any webcompat fallout
> from it.

We’ll keep an eye out for related bustage reported on webcompat.com.

--
Mike Taylor
Web Compat, Mozilla