Intent to deprecate: insecure Geo requests

Michelangelo De Simone

Feb 7, 2017, 4:13:40 PM2/7/17
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
TL;DR the Geolocation API will be restricted to secure contexts in
Firefox 55 (due in August).

Hi there,

as a follow-up to [1], we're moving forward to restrict Geolocation
API only to secure contexts.
This is due to a number of important reasons:

1. Chrome and Safari have already deprecated insecure geo requests
last year (Firefox is the only major browser still allowing them)
2. We've deprecated "Insecure HTTP" in 2015 [2]
3. It's easier than ever to get a valid SSL certificate
4. It's cheaper than ever to get a valid SSL certificate (actually it's free)

Even though we've landed all the necessary groundwork in [3], this is
gonna be a slow rollout to give everybody plenty of time to adjust.

In Firefox 54 (currently in Nightly): the insecure Geolocation API are
protected by the preference "geo.security.allowinsecure" that defaults
to true on all the channels (true = accept insecure requests = no
change).
Firefox 54 is due in june [4].

In Firefox 55 we will flip the switch and all the requests to
navigator.geolocation.getCurrentPosition() and watchPosition() will
only be fulfilled if in a secure context.
Firefox 55 is due in august.

The tracking bug is [5].

[1] http://bit.ly/2jZYXkK
[2] https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2015/04/30/deprecating-non-secure-http/