Change: Performance bugs handling and triaging

Naveed Ihsanullah

Oct 19, 2017, 12:21:16 PM10/19/17
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org, firef...@lists.mozilla.org
Hello All,

The weekly Quantum Flow performance triaging work has concluded with
Firefox 57’s uplift to beta. We are no longer triaging bugs marked with the
[qf] and [qf:p*] whiteboard tags.

New performance bugs should be assigned to the appropriate component teams
and will be addressed by their triaging and bug fixing processes.

Performance continues to be a priority for Firefox. A new permanent
performance effort is being defined. For now please mark new performance
bugs with the whiteboard tag [perf]. Existing [qf*] bugs will be
transitioned to the [perf*] equivalents. Bugs marked as [perf] will be
triaged by a virtual Performance team at a frequency to be decided though
it will be less frequent than the old weekly meetings.

We realize there is an existing bugzilla keyword "perf" and we have a plan
for that.

New profiles that require analysis should be assigned to relevant domain
experts. Profiler documentation and tips/pointers to more information are
available at
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Performance/Profiling_with_the_Built-in_Profiler.
If you are stuck on analyzing a profile, ask for help in #flow on IRC.

Our “army of automation” will help ensure Firefox’s performance quality.
Treat Talos and AreWeFastYet regressions with the urgency they deserve.

Questions and comments are always welcome.

Thank you,
The team formerly known as Quantum Flow

Boris Zbarsky

Oct 19, 2017, 3:40:59 PM10/19/17
Naveed,

Thank you for continuing work on performance!

> New profiles that require analysis should be assigned to relevant domain
> experts.

Do we have a plan for _generating_ profiles, or at least incentivizing
generation thereof? This is a large part of what the Quantum Flow
effort was about, though I think Ehsan did most of this part of the
work. It would be good to scale it better.

-Boris

Tom Schuster

Oct 19, 2017, 3:56:53 PM10/19/17
to Boris Zbarsky, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
Hey!

Let me start by saying that to me Quantum Flow felt like hugely important
work that made an immediate impact on how people perceive Firefox
performance.
I am really excited that we are going to continue working on this.

You often hear people complaining about performance on YouTube and Twitch
etc. Both of these have or had beta versions of their new layouts. I think
we should be more proactive about looking at those to
find performance issues that are going to bite us later. Is there some
reference list of sites we care about in particular, so that we always keep
up with the newest or upcoming version of those?

Just as a quick observation: I tried the twitch beta about a week ago in
Firefox and felt about twice as slow as Chrome. It still takes them a very
long time to load everything, so twitch really needs to look into their
perf as well.

Kris Maglione

Oct 19, 2017, 4:19:01 PM10/19/17
to Boris Zbarsky, hkirs...@mozilla.com, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
I know that Harald was working on an extension to make it easier
to crowdsource profiles[1], but I haven't heard anything about
it in a while.

[1]: https://github.com/digitarald/performance-foxfooding-ext