MemShrink: an ongoing initiative to reduce memory consumption

Eric Rahm

Nov 3, 2015, 4:07:23 PM11/3/15
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, firef...@mozilla.org, mobile-fi...@mozilla.org, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org, dev-m...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi folks-

The MemShrink project [1] has been around for several years. You may have
seen the [MemShrink] tag added to bugs and then later on given a priority
of P1, P2, or P3. This was the product of weekly (and then bi-weekly) video
meetings held to triage these unprioritized bugs and discuss all things
memory.

We would like to move to a more asynchronous, open, and inclusive system.
To support this goal a new mailing list, dev-memory [2], has been created
where we will have a weekly triage discussion. All other memory related
topics are welcome as well.

For all interested please sign up for the list [3], add a [MemShrink] tag
to memory related bugs you see, participate in the triage discussion, and
post to the list about memory related topics and concerns.

And as a reminder: there will continue to be the #memshrink IRC channel.

-e

[1] https://wiki.mozilla.org/Performance/MemShrink
[2] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/mozilla.dev.memory

Nicholas Nethercote

Nov 3, 2015, 7:45:14 PM11/3/15
to Eric Rahm, dev. planning, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, firefox-dev, dev-m...@lists.mozilla.org, dev-platform, mobile-fi...@mozilla.org
And please note that following along isn't onerous. We typically get
~3 bugs to triage per week.

Nick