Compat Data contribution

Justin Crawford

Apr 24, 2015, 6:14:44 PM4/24/15
to dev-mdc, mdn, dev-mdn
Hi-

Stephanie Hobson is starting to design the interface contributors will
interact with when they make a contribution to compat data. We know this
interface will behave differently than the current article editing
interface because it will be taking very different data.

That's one interface and Stephanie is starting to explore it. But we have a
lot more to design here. For example:
* How do people get from a display of compat data (on MDN for example) to
the interface where they will contribute compat data?
* How do they authenticate themselves?
* How do "moderators" (people empowered to help manage data quality) learn
of new content in need of moderation?
* How do contributors learn of easy opportunities to contribute?
* When are contributions published -- before or after moderation, or
something in between?
* etc.

Here is my ask: If you are personally contributing to this project, or are
very familiar with contributing compatibility data or with moderating
anything on MDN, can you help me write/improve some user stories that
articulate this space? I have taken a first pass here:

https://docs.google.com/a/mozilla.com/spreadsheets/d/11SYxWvNyas5ojtOWONSv7iCqcLr4ZhDi21TzAapFVVU/edit#gid=0

You should have "comment" access now. Please ping me for write access.

Remember: These are user stories. They talk about the thing the user wants
to do, not the way the system should be built. The moderator wants to
prevent misbehaving users from continuing to misbehave; "ban IP" is a
design decision we can postpone.

Justin Crawford
Product Manager, MDN
hoos...@mozilla.com

Justin Crawford

Apr 24, 2015, 6:18:16 PM4/24/15
to dev-mdc, mdn, dev-mdn
I neglected to link to source docs. For background on the compat data
project implied in my earlier email, see...

* https://wiki.mozilla.org/MDN/Development/CompatibilityTables
* http://web-platform-compat.readthedocs.org/en/latest/draft/intro.html
* https://browsercompat.herokuapp.com/

Justin

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 4:14 PM, Justin Crawford <hoos...@mozilla.com>
wrote:

John Whitlock

Apr 25, 2015, 8:37:40 AM4/25/15
to Justin Crawford, dev-mdc, dev-mdn, mdn
Here's an earlier attempt, "Compat Data UI User Stories" from Sept 2014,
that might be useful:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R7l6OXu8WBVFJE-AJnS477b3Pm0KiE96EFw-cX_x3KY/edit#gid=0

John

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 5:18 PM, Justin Crawford <hoos...@mozilla.com>

Justin Crawford

Apr 27, 2015, 11:07:45 AM4/27/15
to John Whitlock, dev-mdc, dev-mdn, mdn
Thanks John! Totally forgot this one. I will copy that content to the new
sheet and point visitors from the old to the new, and we can work out how
things relate on the new sheet.

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 6:37 AM, John Whitlock <jo...@factorialfive.com>

Luke Crouch

Apr 27, 2015, 1:44:49 PM4/27/15
to Justin Crawford, dev-mdc, John Whitlock, mdn, dev-mdn
As we define requirements, remember we can measure existing compat data
table events & interaction to learn some things.

-L

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 10:07 AM, Justin Crawford <hoos...@mozilla.com>