Removing iframes from pages

Eric Shepherd

Apr 20, 2015, 1:48:03 PM4/20/15
to dev-mdc [Docs]
I took the list of pages that include iframes that Will produced, turned
them all into clickable links, and made this page, which includes
instructions on what needs to be done:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/MDN/Plans/Remove_in-content_iframes

How quickly can we do away with all of these iframes? :)

--

Eric Shepherd
Senior Technical Writer

maybe

Apr 21, 2015, 11:49:52 AM4/21/15
to mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org
I did all de/ docs, found and documented two 404 links.
I only found youtube iframes.
Do you have information of which iframe types are in which documents?
Is the search strategy used to compile the list available to share here?

Eric Shepherd

Apr 21, 2015, 11:01:03 PM4/21/15
to maybe, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org
maybe wrote:
> Do you have information of which iframe types are in which documents?
Unfortunately, no. I toyed for a while with trying to gather that
information, but for such a relatively small number of pages, the work
involved just didn't make sense.
> Is the search strategy used to compile the list available to share here?
It involved using some admin-level tools. I'm sure there are other ways,
but, again, it's a pretty short list, so might as well just power
through. :)

Eric Shepherd (Sheppy)

Apr 24, 2015, 6:13:51 PM4/24/15
to dev-mdc [Docs]
Hey all! We're doing great work on removing these iframes from MDN content,
but there are plenty left. I want to specifically congratulate the
contributors in English, Spanish, and German, who are finished! Most of the
locales with active teams are making great progress though!

If you see pages not in your language but feel comfortable fixing them,
it'd be awesome if you would. Fixing some of the less-active locales is
tricky, and I'd rather fix them than have them break.

The intent is to disable these directly used iframes in about a week or so,
whether they've all been fixed or not. Consider yourselves warned. :D

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 1:47 PM, Eric Shepherd <eshe...@mozilla.com>
wrote:

> I took the list of pages that include iframes that Will produced, turned
> them all into clickable links, and made this page, which includes
> instructions on what needs to be done:
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/MDN/Plans/Remove_in-content_iframes
>
> How quickly can we do away with all of these iframes? :)

Sphinx

Apr 26, 2015, 4:48:27 AM4/26/15
to Eric Shepherd (Sheppy), dev-mdc [Docs]
And now Fr is iframe free :)
Thanks everyone for helping.

++
Julien / Sphinx

Saurabh Nair

Apr 26, 2015, 2:15:38 PM4/26/15
to Sphinx, dev-mdc [Docs], Eric Shepherd (Sheppy)
Think the rest are also done now.

- jsx

Justin Crawford

Apr 27, 2015, 11:26:36 AM4/27/15
to Saurabh Nair, Sphinx, dev-mdc [Docs], Eric Shepherd (Sheppy), Luke Crouch
+Luke

Thanks everyone who worked on this cleanup!

In dev planning this morning we unblocked the development bug associated
with this, which will disallow iframes in content. Here's the PR for it:
https://github.com/mozilla/kuma/pull/3171

Please shout (quickly and loudly) if this engineering work should wait for
anything.
--
Justin Crawford
Product Manager, MDN

Luke Crouch

Apr 27, 2015, 11:31:20 AM4/27/15
to Justin Crawford, Saurabh Nair, Sphinx, Eric Shepherd (Sheppy), dev-mdc [Docs]
+1 thanks everyone for working on this. It's a really important clean-up
for MDN.

-L

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 10:26 AM, Justin Crawford <hoos...@mozilla.com>

Eric Shepherd

Apr 27, 2015, 2:48:07 PM4/27/15
Saurabh Nair wrote:
> Think the rest are also done now.
There are actually 35 more to do. Some of the pages had more than one
iframe, and people missed the second (or later) ones. I am pulling
together a new list right now.

Eric Shepherd

Apr 27, 2015, 3:04:22 PM4/27/15
to Luke Crouch, Justin Crawford, Saurabh Nair, dev-mdc [Docs], Sphinx
Luke Crouch wrote:
> +1 thanks everyone for working on this. It's a really important
> clean-up for MDN.
I have updated the list of pages so we can see where there are still
<iframe>s to clean up:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/MDN/Plans/Remove_in-content_iframes

Be sure to check to see if there are more than one! :)

Eric Shepherd

Apr 27, 2015, 10:49:58 PM4/27/15
to Luke Crouch, Justin Crawford, Saurabh Nair, dev-mdc [Docs], Sphinx
> Luke Crouch <mailto:lcr...@mozilla.com>
> April 27, 2015 at 11:30 AM
> +1 thanks everyone for working on this. It's a really important
> clean-up for MDN.
>
> -L
>

> Justin Crawford <mailto:hoos...@mozilla.com>
> April 27, 2015 at 11:26 AM
> +Luke
>
> Thanks everyone who worked on this cleanup!
>
> In dev planning this morning we unblocked the development bug
> associated with this, which will disallow iframes in content. Here's
> the PR for it: https://github.com/mozilla/kuma/pull/3171
>
> Please shout (quickly and loudly) if this engineering work should wait
> for anything.
>

> --
> Justin Crawford
> Product Manager, MDN
> hoos...@mozilla.com <mailto:hoos...@mozilla.com>
> Saurabh Nair <mailto:sau...@rebugged.com>
> April 26, 2015 at 2:15 PM
> Think the rest are also done now.
>
> - jsx
>

> Sphinx <mailto:sphinx...@hotmail.fr>
> April 26, 2015 at 4:47 AM
> And now Fr is iframe free :)
> Thanks everyone for helping.
>
> ++
> Julien / Sphinx
>

> Eric Shepherd (Sheppy) <mailto:eshe...@mozilla.com>
> April 24, 2015 at 6:13 PM
> Hey all! We're doing great work on removing these iframes from MDN
> content, but there are plenty left. I want to specifically
> congratulate the contributors in English, Spanish, and German, who are
> finished! Most of the locales with active teams are making great
> progress though!
>
> If you see pages not in your language but feel comfortable fixing
> them, it'd be awesome if you would. Fixing some of the less-active
> locales is tricky, and I'd rather fix them than have them break.
>
> The intent is to disable these directly used iframes in about a week
> or so, whether they've all been fixed or not. Consider yourselves
> warned. :D
>

> --
>
> Eric Shepherd
> Senior Technical Writer
> Mozilla
OK, looks like we have them all now! Thanks everyone! Great, great work!

(The search we're using still shows results, but every one is a 404,
so... I guess we're good).