MDN Metrics Dashboard

Jeremie Patonnier

Nov 30, 2016, 8:38:31 PM11/30/16
to dev-mdc
Hi everybody

Some might know I'm working on writing requirements around metrics we are
using in the MDN team. The goal is to build a dashboard on top of a
Business Intelligence tool that will aggregate our various data sources.
The ultimate goal is to stop struggling to get the data and start using
them efficiently on a daily basis.

It is still an early draft but it is in good shape to be shared:

-
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-3tvPdOgLwfw5xqZzQmzTe4A9ulu5dPNBBqO80pxUIQ/edit?usp=sharing

I'm gonna refine it in the next days (especially to section about
visualization and sharing) so now is the good time to comment and tell what
you think.

Especially if you have metrics that you think are important for you and you
don't see them in the document, speak up ;)

Best,
--
Jeremie
( ̄(エ) ̄)ノ Lovely Wild Bear

William Bamberg

Dec 2, 2016, 1:43:23 PM12/2/16
to Jeremie Patonnier, dev-mdc
Hi Jeremie!

I said I'd write this down :-).

It would be great to have a picture of where contributions to MDN content
come from. The "contributor retention" metric seems related to that, but
only indirectly. Would it be good to have things like:

* how many distinct contributors were there to MDN content in a given time
period (last week/month)?
* how is the number of contributors correlated with the number of
contributions? (i.e. are most contributions made by a small number of
long-time contributors)
* how is the number of contributors/contributions correlated with different
parts of the site? (do some areas have a more healthy community?)
* how do contributors/contributions split between editing content and
translating content?

For contribution metrics, I believe that at the moment Kuma counts empty
edits. Can we exclude them? More difficult, but can we exclude edits that
are reverted? (this happens quite often for prominent pages:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons$history?limit=all).

Will

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 5:33 PM, Jeremie Patonnier <jer...@mozilla.com>