Re: Is it time to stop capitalizing the word 'web'? (was: Is it time to stop capitalizing the word 'internet'?)

Janet Swisher

Nov 7, 2016, 4:40:43 PM11/7/16
to dev-mdc
Reviving this old thread, as this came up again in the context of
developer marketing.

More "authorities" are switching to lower-case for at least "web" and in
some cases "internet":

* http://www.poynter.org/2016/ap-style-change-alert-dont-capitalize-internet-and-web-any-more/404664/
* Chicago Manual of Style:

7.76Terms like “web” and “Internet”

In keeping with Chicago’s recommendations elsewhere (see 8.67
<http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/16/ch08/ch08_sec067.html>),
generic terms that are capitalized as part of the official name of a
system or an organization may be lowercased when used alone or in
combination. (In a departure, Chicago now considers /web/ to be
generic when used alone or in combination with other generic terms.)

I believe our audience of web developers (who value economy in typing)
are more likely to use and expect lower case for these words as well.

I propose that we change the MDN style guide
(https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/MDN/Contribute/Guidelines/Writing_style_guide)
to allow lower case for "web" and "internet".

Thoughts?

On 7/30/15 0:50, Julien / Sphinx wrote:
> Well as per the French, we capitalize the noun but let go the adjective with a lower case 'w' . Seems to be the rule here <insert beret and baguette here/>
> Like:
> - "The Web is awesome"
> - "I love web technologies"
>
> Mes deux centimes :)
> Julien / Sphinx

Janet Swisher <mailto:jREMOVE...@mozilla.com>
Mozilla Developer Network <https://developer.mozilla.org>
Community Strategist

Chris Mills

Nov 8, 2016, 1:23:00 AM11/8/16
to Janet Swisher, dev-mdc
Much as it feels wrong, I have to agree with you. ;-)

We should move with the times.

Chris Mills
Senior tech writer || Mozilla
developer.mozilla.org || MDN
cmi...@mozilla.com || @chrisdavidmills

Danielle Vincent

Nov 8, 2016, 11:25:04 AM11/8/16
to Chris Mills, dev-mdc, Janet Swisher
Ok, so is this an official decision? I have to direct some people on this particular issue today for the Mozilla developer newsletter sign-up page. :)

Cheers,
Danielle

“Concentrate all your thoughts upon the work in hand. The Sun's rays do not burn until brought to a focus.” - Alexander Graham Bell

dvin...@mozilla.com <mailto:dvin...@mozilla.com>
Assembler of Words, Mozilla Developer Network
Twitter: @MozDevNet
Twitter: @ViewSourceConf