I'd like to contribute

Karin Meersman

Aug 12, 2016, 9:28:15 AM8/12/16
to dev...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi everybody,

This mail is a reply to a message sent by Janet Swisher.

I'd like to contribute because I wish to express my feelings of gratitude towards the IT-community in general (MDN, stack overflow, FreeCodeCamp, free screencasts...).

I'm an English and German teacher and I live in Belgium.
A few years ago, on a dark and rainy day, I was working on a language exercise in hotpotatoes software. I clicked once more on "insert table" and that weird code was there again. Had no idea how to use it and got a bit bored with the exercise so I clicked on 'help'. There were all sorts of tips and tricks in the helpfiles and the writers enthusiastically encouraged me to hack the css and the javascript. They have a website with even more goodies. Everywhere I read that ' javascipt is really easy'. So I said to myself: 'Let's quickly learn that'.
Since then js has more or less taken over my life and has become one of the main sources of joy and despair.

I've reached an intermediate level in javascript and html and I'm learning about css which I tend to treat as an afterthought (which it really isn't). I'm also working my way through node js and express js. I'm a FreeCodeCamp member and solved their bonfires (i.e. js algorhytm exs) and front-end projects (which I'm still revising regularly).

I'm not a professional at all but I do love web development.

My first idea was that I could translate because my native language is Dutch and I have studied English. I do wonder if there's a real need for Dutch translations. In the dutch-speaking part of Belgium and the Netherlands, everybody speaks good enough English. Nevertheless MDN is not so easy to read. It took me quite a while to before I got used to the concise and highly technical language that is used on MDN and other IT-websites. (which is the biggest hurdle, in my opinion, once you can digest that, the rest is easy by comparison). But anyway, I'd like to know, is there a real demand for Dutch translations? I'd like to contribute where I'm really needed. I can also do other stuff, there's a long list.

I'm good with words. I've taught in classrooms and I still teach as a volunteer. I know how to explain stuff. I would also like to learn more about web development and helping you out will also teach me a lot.

Well, that's it.

Greetings,
Karin Meersman (Mientje)

Verzonden met Windows Mail

Aug 18, 2016, 1:29:28 PM8/18/16
to Karin Meersman, dev...@lists.mozilla.org
Looks like people overlooked your message so far, so let me be the first
one to welcome you, Karin!

Fact is that there are currently very few pages translated to Dutch. I
can't tell whether that's because people don't need Dutch translations or
because there are not enough Dutch translators or whether that has other
reasons. (Maybe some MDN stuff member has more insight. Jérémie?)

Though as teacher you may want to help Chris Mills writing and reviewing
the articles in the Learning Area[1].

Greetings from Germany,

Sebastian

[1] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Learn

On 12 August 2016 at 15:27, Karin Meersman <meersm...@hotmail.com>

Janet Swisher

Aug 18, 2016, 4:21:45 PM8/18/16
to Karin Meersman, dev...@lists.mozilla.org, Sebastian Zartner
Hi Karin! Welcome!

I missed your message due to an overly-aggressive spam filter. Thanks,
Sebastian, for replying.

I don't have specific numbers for traffic to 'nl' pages, but it's
definitely not in the top 10 locales on MDN. (Of course, there is always
the problem that if there is little content, there is little traffic,
and vice versa.) I suspect that you could have the greatest impact by
helping to make our English pages easier for non-native speakers to
understand, because that could help readers and translators from many
backgrounds. Perhaps there are ways to "unpack" the concise language on
our pages without annoying native speakers.

And, of course, as both a learner and a teacher, you could bring great
insights to the Learning Area, as Sebastian mentioned.
--

Janet Swisher <mailto:jREMOVE...@mozilla.com>
Mozilla Developer Network <https://developer.mozilla.org>

Karin Meersman

Aug 20, 2016, 2:21:12 PM8/20/16
to Janet Swisher, dev...@lists.mozilla.org, sebastia...@gmail.com
Hi Janet, Sebastian and everybody else,

I'd like to contribute to the learning area. Thank you for the link.
Maybe this is a naive question, but how exactly am I to 'ping' Chris Mills ?
I know that you can ping a server and wait for the response but he's not a server, is he? Am I to write him a message? From the trello board? I opened it, looked at it and really, I'm a little lost here.

Chris, are you out there?

Anyway, thanks and greets,
Karin Meersman (Mientje)

Verzonden met Windows Mail

On 12 August 2016 at 15:27, Karin Meersman <meersm...@hotmail.com><mailto:meersm...@hotmail.com>
welcome&utm_medium=email&utm_source=developer.mozilla.org><https://developer.mozilla.org?utm_campaign=welcome&utm_medium=email&utm_source=developer.mozilla.org> - een

medium=email&utm_source=developer.mozilla.org><https://developer.mozilla.org/docs/MDN/Getting_started?utm_campaign=welcome&utm_medium=email&utm_source=developer.mozilla.org> voltooid door een profiel

Option_1.3A_I_like_words><https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/MDN/Getting_started?utm_campaign=welcome&utm_medium=email&utm_source=developer.mozilla.org#Option_1.3A_I_like_words>, van code houdt<https://developer.
Option_2.3A_I_like_code><https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/MDN/Getting_started?utm_campaign=welcome&utm_medium=email&utm_source=developer.mozilla.org#Option_2.3A_I_like_code>, zowel van woorden als van code houdt<
Option_3.3A_I_like_both_words_and_code><https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/MDN/Getting_started?utm_campaign=welcome&utm_medium=email&utm_source=developer.mozilla.org#Option_3.3A_I_like_both_words_and_code>, of dat u MDN naar uw taal wilt
source=developer.mozilla.org#Option_4.3A_I_want_MDN_in_my_language><https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/MDN/Getting_started?utm_campaign=welcome&utm_medium=email&utm_source=developer.mozilla.org#Option_4.3A_I_want_MDN_in_my_language>.

Praat met ons!

Wilt u iemand spreken over MDN? Er zijn een paar manieren om dat te doen:

* Mailinglijst: abonneer u<https://lists.mozilla.org/
listinfo/dev-mdc?utm_campaign=welcome&utm_medium=email&utm_
source=developer.mozilla.org><https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-mdc?utm_campaign=welcome&utm_medium=email&utm_source=developer.mozilla.org> om te laten weten wat u op MDN interesseert
en vragen over de website te stellen.
medium=email&utm_source=developer.mozilla.org><https://wiki.mozilla.org/IRC?utm_campaign=welcome&utm_medium=email&utm_source=developer.mozilla.org>.) Daar kunt u de MDN
email&utm_source=developer.mozilla.org><https://blog.mozilla.org/community?utm_campaign=welcome&utm_medium=email&utm_source=developer.mozilla.org>-blog naar berichten met het label
medium=email&utm_source=developer.mozilla.org><https://blog.mozilla.org/community/category/developer-engagement/?utm_campaign=welcome&utm_medium=email&utm_source=developer.mozilla.org>.

Wees niet verlegen, als u twijfels, problemen of vragen hebt, neem dan
contact op! We zijn er om te helpen.

Sebastian Zartner

Aug 22, 2016, 2:18:49 AM8/22/16
to Karin Meersman, dev...@lists.mozilla.org, Chris Mills, Janet Swisher
Hi Karin,

Chris is a definitely a person. :-) He's also on this mailing list. I guess
he just didn't have time yet to respond here. I've also explicitly CC'ed
him now.

Sebastian

On 20 August 2016 at 20:20, Karin Meersman <meersm...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Janet, Sebastian and everybody else,
>
> I'd like to contribute to the learning area. Thank you for the link.
> Maybe this is a naive question, but how exactly am I to 'ping' Chris Mills
> ?
> I know that you can ping a server and wait for the response but he's not a
> server, is he? Am I to write him a message? From the trello board? I opened
> it, looked at it and really, I'm a little lost here.
>
> Chris, are you out there?
>
> Anyway, thanks and greets,
> Karin Meersman (Mientje)
>
> Verzonden met Windows Mail

Chris Mills

Aug 22, 2016, 4:20:33 AM8/22/16
to Karin Meersman, dev...@lists.mozilla.org, Sebastian Zartner, Janet Swisher
Hi Karin!

My apologies for taking so long to reply; last week was horribly busy ;-)

So I head up the learning area (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Learn); I’m currently near the end of writing the JavaScript Building Blocks module (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Learn/JavaScript/Building_blocks), after which I’ll go on to writing a new module on Object-Oriented JavaScript.

I also have a whole bunch of HTML and CSS material left to write, but those sections are in a better state than JavaScript right now, so JS is currently the priority.

So I’d love any help you can give.

* Writing articles would be great, but I appreciate that this is a lot of work; I probably wouldn’t expect you to do this as your first task.

* Writing small parts of articles would also be useful, for example code examples, or sections.

* Reviewing / copy editing articles would also be really helpful — the existing modules have already had a bit of reviewing done, but more ideas and opinions are always helpful.

Maybe you could start by having a look around and letting me know what you think? I am interesting in multiple review standpoints, for example:

1. Expert reviews commenting on technical accuracy of material
2. Beginners commenting on how effective a self-learning experience it is — is it fun and useful? Are any parts confusing? etc.
3. Teachers commenting on how useful the material is from a learning standpoint — can it be effectively used as further reading material for an existing course — or integrated more tightly than that? I’d love teachers to be able to easily integrate our material with their courses.

All the best,

Chris Mills
Senior tech writer || Mozilla
developer.mozilla.org || MDN