Orphan localized pages and page Move functionnality

Jeremie Patonnier

Apr 18, 2014, 7:06:59 AM4/18/14
to dev-mdc
Hello :)

I spend some time yesterday on the list of the French pages without English
parent:

- https://developer.mozilla.org/fr/docs/without-parent

It appears that some of the pages are duplicate with equivalent pages that
match the en-US URL schemas. Fixing this require some tricky admin right as
many of the "old" pages are better translated than the new one.

I intend to make some fix during the upcoming French locasprint next week.
Hopefully Jean-Yves, who has admin right, will be their to.

However, I wonder how local without someone with such right could be able
to handle move, change child/parent relation and redirect nicely?

Would it be possible to stress one way or another that we need some
empowered trusted users on local and we need to give them extra power. At
least page move is desperately needed.

It would also be nice to have some kind of a merge tool when two variation
of a page exist. Merging would be the following:

1. Define which document must survive,
2. nuke the second and make a redirection from its URL to the first
document.
3. For localized document, ask what should be the English parent
document if both localized document have an English parent otherwise keep
the English parent that is defined for one of the two documents.

Best,
--
Jeremie
Web : http://jeremie.patonnier.net