Back-end Language reference and guide.

Chaitanya Bhardwaj

Apr 6, 2016, 5:19:25 PM4/6/16
to dev...@lists.mozilla.org
MDN has already made a good approach towards references for front-end
languages like HTML, CSS and Javascript. But web development does not ends
with these languages. As a result, back-end languages such as MySQL and PHP
should also be encouraged. Moreover, there are many users who are willing
MDN to support back-end languages too just like front-end, in their guide
and reference. Please take this topic into consideration.

Eric Shepherd

Apr 6, 2016, 9:50:18 PM4/6/16
to Chaitanya Bhardwaj, dev...@lists.mozilla.org
This is a discussion we've had a few times in recent years, and
generally we've come to a consensus that while we might offer brief
"here's the kind of thing you can do on the back-end" type articles, or
demonstrating bits of back-end code in pursuit of demonstrating how
front-end features work, actually providing in-depth coverage of the
back-end languages, databases, and so forth is outside the scope of
MDN's coverage.

Apr 7, 2016, 11:40:45 AM4/7/16
to dev...@lists.mozilla.org, chaitanya...@gmail.com
Yes, I agree with addressing back-end tech as a necessary part of web
development, and showing how it interacts with front-end tech, as
appropriate, especially in the Learning area. (Note that a certain other
popular site for learning web technology [**schools] has a whole section
on "server side" technology.)

Creating docs for technologies that already have docs, and communities
that support them, doesn't seem like an effective use of the energy of
this community. (Folks, please speak up if I'm wrong and there is
pent-up interest in doing this.)

We can certainly provide links to existing documentation for back-end
languages, like:
* http://php.net/docs.php
* https://docs.python.org/3/
* https://dev.mysql.com/doc/

--

Janet Swisher <mailto:jREMOVE...@mozilla.com>
Mozilla Developer Network <https://developer.mozilla.org>

Saurabh Nair

Apr 7, 2016, 12:18:31 PM4/7/16
to Janet Swisher, dev...@lists.mozilla.org, chaitanya...@gmail.com

> We can certainly provide links to existing documentation for back-end
> languages, like:
> * http://php.net/docs.php
> * https://docs.python.org/3/
> * https://dev.mysql.com/doc/

Throwing this out there: There are sites like
https://thinkster.io/a-better-way-to-learn-angularjs which provide learning
pathways by providing a set of links to third party reading resources in an
organized manner. I found this above linked learning pathway particularly
useful when I learned AngularJS. The list (syllabus) itself gives a
holistic idea of the path I need to take to master that particular tech,
but also saves me from having to searching all around for quality reading
materials.

But yeah, that's still a lot more work than just linking to the PHP or
Python official docs.

- jsx