New learning area article: Floats

已查看 4 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Chris Mills

未读,
2016年5月18日 13:56:042016/5/18
收件人 MDC Mailinglist
The first finished new article in my latest Module (CSS layout):

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Learn/CSS/CSS_layout/Floats

I’d love to find a reviewer for this…any feedback appreciated!

(tweetable)

Chris Mills
Senior tech writer || Mozilla
developer.mozilla.org || MDN
cmi...@mozilla.com || @chrisdavidmills

Sebastian Zartner

未读,
2016年5月19日 02:42:292016/5/19
收件人 Chris Mills、MDC Mailinglist
I just skimmed over the article so far. It generally looks good to me,
though I'm not happy with the 'Multiple column floated layouts' section. We
should discourage using floats for page layout like multiple columns, as it
isn't best practice. Instead we should emphasize that there are other ways
to achieve that like Flexbox or Grid for page layout and Multi-column
Layout for text, i.e. the column-* properties.

Sebastian

Jean-Yves Perrier

未读,
2016年5月19日 03:09:142016/5/19
收件人 Sebastian Zartner、Chris Mills、MDC Mailinglist、Jen Simmons
As we are reaching the Layout part of CSS (even if it still a 101
tutorial), we should ask Jen Simmons (in cc) for review.
--
Jean-Yves Perrier
Senior St. Project Manager, Developer Documentation / MDN

Chris Mills

未读,
2016年5月19日 03:23:112016/5/19
It would be wonderful if you could lend your expertise to this, Jen; I appreciate you are busy, so any time would be good.

On Sebastian’s comment - I’m not sure I agree that it isn’t best practice; yes, ideally you should use flexbox, but there are still old versions of IE in use where this won’t work at all. I think this will make more sense in the larger context of the module:

* In the opening article of the module (currently being written by a contributor) we will review the different layout technologies available, talk about what the current state of best practice is, and set the scene for the rest of the articles.

* Then we have this article

* Then we articles on Positioning, Flexbox, and other layout stuff coming up in the near future, like Grids. I will also mention multi-col, but in my experience it is pretty weak for creating robust multiple column structures (it is only really useful for breaking up simple blocks of text). I haven’t played with it for a few years, so I will give it another spin and see if it has improved at all.

So I will be telling the whole story, over the course of the module.

Chris Mills
Senior tech writer || Mozilla
developer.mozilla.org || MDN
cmi...@mozilla.com || @chrisdavidmills

Jeremie Patonnier

未读,
2016年5月19日 04:48:232016/5/19
收件人 Chris Mills、Jean-Yves Perrier、MDC Mailinglist、Sebastian Zartner、Jen Simmons
I agree with Chris, IE8 and IE9 are still in use out there and using float
for layout remain the best cross browser technic so far. Even with IE10 and
old webkit mobile browsers, flexbox is crude and hard to use without tools
like Autoprefixer.
Jeremie
Web : http://jeremie.patonnier.net
Twitter : @JeremiePat <http://twitter.com/JeremiePat>