[Learn] Help needed: naming modules in beginner's JavaScript course

Chris Mills

Jul 11, 2016, 8:40:11 AM7/11/16
to MDC Mailinglist
Hi all,

I am looking for a little bit of help with module naming, in my course spec:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MLRVUNM9S_XZjKJu7VWhuBFpnDDYFDiGylHbxfaaLPQ/edit#

I have "Introduction to JavaScript part 1” and "Introduction to JavaScript part 2”. As Jean-Yves quite rightly pointed out, these are not very good names — I am really using them for now because I don’t have better names ;-)

But Jean-Yves’ comment spurred me into action, and got me thinking.

The best names I have come up with so far are:

Introduction to JavaScript part 1 -> First steps in JavaScript
Introduction to JavaScript part 2 -> JavaScript building blocks

My rationale is that part 1 really does cover your very first steps - why use JS, what does it do? A first look at writing some code, some basic debugging, and fundamental parts like numbers, operators, strings and arrays. Part 2 covers the fundamental code blocks you’ll find in a typical JavaScript program, like functions, loops and conditionals.

What do we think? I am happy to accept other naming suggestions.

Best,

Chris Mills
Senior tech writer || Mozilla
developer.mozilla.org || MDN
cmi...@mozilla.com || @chrisdavidmills

Eric Shepherd

Jul 11, 2016, 10:11:49 AM7/11/16
to Chris Mills, MDC Mailinglist
Are you sure that's the right link? Seems to be an overview of WebVR
instead of a document on JS learning area modules. :)

--

Eric Shepherd
Senior Technical Writer

Chris Mills

Jul 11, 2016, 10:12:43 AM7/11/16
to Eric Shepherd, MDC Mailinglist
Ack, dammnit ;-)

Here is the correct link:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AP_I38FPfacmBGkiXuJgf-DRB-HI2WqAWzvwD3asnKk/edit

Chris Mills
Senior tech writer || Mozilla
developer.mozilla.org || MDN
cmi...@mozilla.com || @chrisdavidmills

> On 11 Jul 2016, at 15:11, Eric Shepherd <eshe...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>
> Are you sure that's the right link? Seems to be an overview of WebVR instead of a document on JS learning area modules. :)

Eric Shepherd

Jul 11, 2016, 10:17:29 AM7/11/16
to Chris Mills, MDC Mailinglist
How about:

Introduction to JavaScript part 1: JavaScript fundamentals
Introduction to JavaScript part 2: Logic and control in JavaScript
Introduction to JavaScript part 3: JavaScript objects (?)
Introduction to JavaScript part 4: Interacting with the Web using
JavaScript (?)

> Introduction to JavaScript part 1 -> First steps in JavaScript
> Introduction to JavaScript part 2 -> JavaScript building blocks

--

Eric Shepherd
Senior Technical Writer
Mozilla Developer Network <https://developer.mozilla.org/>

Chris Mills

Jul 11, 2016, 12:23:21 PM7/11/16
to Eric Shepherd, MDC Mailinglist
“Fundamentals" is not too bad at all; I do however worry about using technical terms like “Logic and control” in module titles, as they might lose and confuse beginners who don’t know what they mean.

Also, “Interacting with the Web using JavaScript” might confuse beginners - “But I thought this was all about interacting with the web!” Besides I’ve already told them what APIs are in the first article; I want to break them in gently to the idea that JavaScript is just the language and has multiple uses, and APIs are required to do any kind of actual interaction with the web. It’s a bit confusing at first.