Removal/Archiving of some box-X CSS properties?

Julien Sphinx

Apr 8, 2016, 8:01:18 AM4/8/16
to dev...@lists.mozilla.org
Hello all,

While going across the CSS Reference, I met the following properties:
- box-align
- box-direction
- box-flex-group
- box-lines
- box-ordinal-group
- box-orient

It seems to me that all those properties:
- exist in moz-prefixed version for use in XUL/internals
- have been migrated to Flexbox equivalents since

So I'm wondering what is the best solution here:
- move pages to "moz-box-..." pages
- archive them
- delete them
?

Thanks for your answers,
Respectfully,
Julien

Sebastian Zartner

Apr 11, 2016, 6:24:02 AM4/11/16
to Julien Sphinx, dev...@lists.mozilla.org
Note that the browser compatibility is wrong for them. Chrome still
supports a -webkit-prefixed version of them.
Furthermore, while they may initially be designed for XUL content only in
Gecko, they also work in web content.

I've copied the example of the 'box-align' property to a JSFiddle:
https://jsfiddle.net/rdf2fas9/

So, I believe the best is to keep them as they are. The other possibility
would be to split them into pages with -webkit- and -moz- prefixes, but
because they basically work the same with both prefixes, it may not be
worth the effort.

Sebastian

Eric Shepherd

Apr 11, 2016, 10:57:16 AM4/11/16
to Sebastian Zartner, Julien Sphinx, dev...@lists.mozilla.org
I think they should stay as they are -- except that the browser
compatibility sections should be updated to include not just
compatibility, but prefix information and details on differences in
implementations if needed.

Apr 12, 2016, 5:52:19 AM4/12/16
to Eric Shepherd, Julien Sphinx, dev...@lists.mozilla.org
I've updated/added the browser compatibility sections including their
prefixes, renamed some related pages, added proper formal syntaxes, syntax
examples, info boxes and tags. From testing I didn't see much differences
in implementations.
Some compatibility data is still missing and half of the pages still need
examples. Feel free to add those.

Sebastian

On 11 April 2016 at 16:49, Eric Shepherd <eshe...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> I think they should stay as they are -- except that the browser
> compatibility sections should be updated to include not just compatibility,
> but prefix information and details on differences in implementations if
> needed.

Sphinx

Apr 12, 2016, 1:24:17 PM4/12/16
to Sebastian Zartner, Eric Shepherd, dev...@lists.mozilla.org
Thanks for the feedback and most importantly, thanks for the action
Sebastian :)
I consider the thread closed for now!

Respectfully,
Julien