A schema for browser compatibility

Jean-Yves Perrier

Jan 16, 2017, 9:55:29 AM1/16/17
to dev-mdc, dev...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi all!

I'm trying to get a JSON schema for our browser compatibility data.
Before setting up a first proposal to discuss with all of you, I would
like to have your opinions/ideas on some points.

Currently we are using 2 experimental schemas:

- The schema for WebExtensions:
https://github.com/mdn/browser-compat-data/blob/master/webextensions/browser-compat-data.schema.json

Example of json using it:
https://github.com/mdn/browser-compat-data/blob/master/webextensions/browser-compat-data.json

- The schema for the rests:
https://github.com/mdn/browser-compat-data/blob/master/compat-data.schema.json

Example of json using it:
https://github.com/mdn/browser-compat-data/blob/master/javascript/promise.json

I'm working on a proposal (this is a WIP!):
https://github.com/mdn/browser-compat-data/pull/86/commits/0b931352ba1ebbbd5a375e7f98d4c3a6cd219dc5

The main addition for the moment, is the usage of the notion of id, so
that we don't rely on the file structure. (The id/compat separator is
"compat" but I think we should use something more unlikely like "__compat".

Example of json using it:
https://github.com/mdn/browser-compat-data/pull/86/commits/be658bbcb0103c550dcb66c0dbd3378cd4e46079

I've created GitHub issues for discussing on a few questions that
already arose while discussing with some of you:

1. [Schema]: versioning proposal –
https://github.com/mdn/browser-compat-data/issues/107

2. [Schema]: ID proposal –
https://github.com/mdn/browser-compat-data/issues/113

3. [Schema]: L10n proposal –
https://github.com/mdn/browser-compat-data/issues/114

4. [Schema]: Naming of user agents –
https://github.com/mdn/browser-compat-data/issues/115

5. [Schema}: The special case of prefixes and features removal -
https://github.com/mdn/browser-compat-data/issues/116

Other topics will likely appear while we are discussing these!

Please discuss these topics in the github issues. Feel free to create
more github issues wrt to the schema (prefixed them with [Schema] so we
find them easily).

Once we have reached an agreement (or we are stock), I will collect
these ideas to make a concrete proposal for a second round of
discussions. Then we'll experiment with these to validate that we have
not forgotten anything.

Thank you all for your help.

--
Jean-Yves Perrier
Senior St. Project Manager, Developer Documentation / MDN