MDN Community for the win!

Jeremie Patonnier

Jul 13, 2016, 2:22:09 PM7/13/16
to MDN (Public), dev-mdc, Chad Weiner, David Tenser, DEV MDN (Public), Kadir Topal, Alicia Spivak, jas...@mozilla.com
Hello everybody :)

The MDN team is currently investigating its community. We wish to better
understand what MDN contributors are doing, how much they are involved with
MDN, what are their motivations, and more.

The goal is to be able to set up a team strategy to work more closely with
our contributors in order to help them being more efficient and impactful…
while having fun at the same time (that's important too).

Here are the first bits of investigation based on quantitative data from
the MDN database.

- http://bit.ly/29X8ciC

In short: *Our contributors are awesome* and we have a huge potential do do
even more with them.

In the next weeks expect more information and refinement as we have even
more areas to invest about our community.

For all of you who are contributing to MDN and reading that e-mail, first
let me tell you again: *you rock*. Second, feel free to ask any question
about those results, I'll be glade to answer. Third, beyond questions, any
feedback about this work is welcome, please share your thoughts :)
Best,
--
Jeremie
( ̄(エ) ̄)ノ Lovely Wild Bear

Sebastian Zartner

Jul 13, 2016, 5:11:51 PM7/13/16
to Jeremie Patonnier, dev-mdc, Chad Weiner, David Tenser, DEV MDN (Public), Kadir Topal, Alicia Spivak, jas...@mozilla.com, MDN (Public)
Applause to the MDN community! Let's keep rocking! :-)

Thank you for sharing these numbers, Jérémie!
The slides 11 - 13 only show page creations. It would be interesting
to see the overall edits in relation.
Is the goal of these efforts to give better directions for the
contributors, or to improve tools on the page, or both?

Sebastian

Janet Swisher

Jul 13, 2016, 5:40:06 PM7/13/16
to Sebastian Zartner, Jeremie Patonnier, dev-mdc, Chad Weiner, David Tenser, DEV MDN (Public), Kadir Topal, Alicia Spivak, MDN (Public), jas...@mozilla.com
I'll answer, since I think Jérémie just left for a long weekend off.

On 7/13/16 16:11, Sebastian Zartner wrote:
> Applause to the MDN community! Let's keep rocking! :-)
>
> Thank you for sharing these numbers, Jérémie!
> The slides 11 - 13 only show page creations. It would be interesting
> to see the overall edits in relation.
> Is the goal of these efforts to give better directions for the
> contributors, or to improve tools on the page, or both?
This effort was to get a baseline understanding of how and where
volunteers are contributing. This gives us an idea of both areas of
strength and opportunities to improve. This is the first installment of
several research efforts we are planning, to investigate the state of
the MDN community [1][2].

This will help in planning an overall strategy as well as specific
tactics for improving engagement, retention, etc. Those tactics could be
at the social level, or they could be at the tool level. However,
changes to tools have to compete for priority with everything else the
developers have on their plate. So, I would expect to see more changes
at the social level.

--Janet

[1] Epic: https://tree.taiga.io/project/viya-mdn-durable-team/issue/380
[2] User stories: