Re: Small rendering problem with MDN CSS Tutorial Output Box

Sebastian Zartner

Jan 19, 2017, 10:11:21 AM1/19/17
to Y Paul Sussman, MDC Mailinglist
Hi Y Paul!

The reason why it's not working is that Chrome, Opera and Safari currently
don't support text-transform on ::first-line pseudo-elements. I've added
notes to the browser compatibility to the pages describing ::first-line
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/::first-line#Browser_compatibility>
and text-transform
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/text-transform#Browser_compatibility>
to clarify this.
I've also replaced text-transform in the Learning Area activity by
font-weight now to avoid this issue.

Requests like this should better be asked on the dev...@lists.mozilla.org
mailing list (which I've CC'ed now) to reach a broader audience. Though
note that we are currently discussing a new way for communication
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.dev.mdn/l1kxXTm0wP4>, so
this will probably change in the future.

Best regards and thanks for the kudos,

Sebastian

On 19 January 2017 at 02:29, Y Paul Sussman <ypauls...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Sebastian, and a heartfelt thanks for all the work you and your
> colleagues do for Mozilla and MDN in particular!
>
> My name's Y Paul Sussman, and I've been (joyfully) learning HTML/CSS
> through MDN's tutorials.
>
> I'm writing because I've found what I believe to be an issue with how the
> site displays a particular pseudo-element, and (*based on your Mozillian
> profile and logs on the relevant sites*) you seem to be the best person
> to contact.
>
> In this activity
> <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/CSS/Introduction_to_CSS/Pseudo-classes_and_pseudo-elements#Active_learning_A_fancy_paragraph>,
> the {text-transform: uppercase;} value doesn't appear to render in the
> Output box. I've noticed the same phenomenon in the ::first-line page
> <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/::first-line>, as well
> (under the "lorem ipsum..." output.)
>
> FWIW, I checked it with
> -- Chrome Version 55.0.2883.95 (64-bit)
> [and]
> -- Safari Version 10.0.2 (10602.3.12.0.1),
> both on OS X Yosemite 10.10.5.
>
> And that's all! I hope this update is useful - I know people are busy, so
> feel welcome to respond with an update or continue along. All my best, and
> thanks again for the time and skill you've committed to MDN,
>

> --
> -Y Paul Sussman
> ypauls...@gmail.com
> 646-532-9353

Chris Mills

Jan 19, 2017, 12:24:37 PM1/19/17
to Sebastian Zartner, MDC Mailinglist, Y Paul Sussman
Thanks for fixing this up Sebastian! Taught me a thing or two as well ;-)

Chris Mills
Senior tech writer || Mozilla
developer.mozilla.org || MDN
cmi...@mozilla.com || @chrisdavidmills