At-rule allowed inside block?

ro...@medvedi.eu

Apr 26, 2016, 10:04:37 AM4/26/16
to mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi dev-mdc,

The MDN page about CSS at-rule says that at-rule is

> "outside of a CSS block, or at the end of the first block."

(This is present since page creation: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/At-rule$revision/4435)

I was wondering where this comes from. And I believe it is either wrong, misleading, or outdated.

In the CSS 2.1 spec (https://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#at-rules) it only sets some limitations on '@import' rule.

In (not normative) Description of CSS's Syntax of CSS Syntax Module Level 3 (https://www.w3.org/TR/css-syntax-3/#syntax-description) it even says about at-rule's body blocks that

> "they may contain additional blocks, or at-rules, or other structures altogether."

In another part in the aforementioned specification is a (not normative) railroad diagram of Declaration list (https://www.w3.org/TR/css-syntax-3/#declaration-list-diagram) which--to my understanding--allows at-rules inside declaration block.

Does anybody know the base of the claim on the page? Did I look over something?

Thanks for your answers.

Robin