Requirement to link a github login to have full access to MDC

Bill Gianopoulos

Aug 18, 2016, 11:46:13 AM8/18/16
to dev...@lists.mozilla.org
I already replied to the email announcing this change to me. I really
think this is a bad idea. I can see OK Mozilla is abandoning Persona, but
requiring people to sign up to something not Mozilla controlled to be able
to contribute as they wish to the Mozilla project seems to be totally
against what Mozilla stands for (or at least what I thought it did).

I should start by saying I have a github account so no big deal for me, but
requiring others who want to contribute to sign up with a non Mozilla
related entity to do this is really outside of what I would consider to be
acceptable. I have been able to contribute to the mozilla development
documentation long before personna existed (like from 2001) without having
to have any non-mozilla based account. This just seem to be wrong on so
many levels.

Kadir Topal

Aug 18, 2016, 3:26:17 PM8/18/16
to Bill Gianopoulos, dev...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the feedback. We would very much like to do so, but we have not yet identified another provider which meets our requirements; in addition, we don't currently have the developer resources to integrate another provider.

That’s not a final decision, just the one we have made for the time being.

Best,
Kadir

nice...@gmail.com

Aug 18, 2016, 4:26:20 PM8/18/16
to mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org
I personally have no problem authenticate using GitHub but who can I contact about not being able to sign in using my Persona email address? I got the email about this change but I can't log in using that email.

Saurabh Nair

Aug 19, 2016, 12:17:09 AM8/19/16
to Kadir Topal, dev...@lists.mozilla.org, Bill Gianopoulos

> Thanks for the feedback. We would very much like to do so, but we have not
> yet identified another provider which meets our requirements; in addition,
> we don't currently have the developer resources to integrate another
> provider.
>
> That’s not a final decision, just the one we have made for the time being.

I wish this was mentioned in the email.

- jsx