What happens when reverting a change on a MDN page?

Dennis Jungbauer

Sep 26, 2016, 11:44:32 AM9/26/16
to mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org
Hello community!

first I'm not sure where the right place for questions like this (about the MDN) is - this seems more like an internal Dev-Forum? :D
Some information/introduction regarding this would be helpful. I already read the following page: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/MDN/Community/Conversations
The #mdn IRC-channel seems the most appropriate but I don't have an IRC client and don't really plan installing one tbh.

Now to my question:

I recently edited a page but accidentally committed the (same) change two times due to the assumption, that I can do line breaks per Shift + Enter in the comment/edit description box..
I also had another understanding of the need for a technical review.
Altogether it resulted in 4 commits/edits instead of one - that doesn't seem nice to me. :|

I then found out how to revert changes but I'm curious how that works exactly: Does that just revert the page's content and add another history entry the Git-way or does it also clean up the version history? I don't intend to mess up the history even further if the former is true.. ^^

Thanks in advance,
Dennis

dennisj...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2016, 11:45:06 AM9/26/16
to mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org

Sebastian Zartner

Sep 26, 2016, 1:16:14 PM9/26/16
to Dennis Jungbauer, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Dennis,

On 26 September 2016 at 17:24, Dennis Jungbauer <dennis-j...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello community!
>
> first I'm not sure where the right place for questions like this (about the MDN) is

It's fine to ask here, but even more appropriate would have been the
dev-mdn mailing list, I guess, as your question relates to the
underlying platform.

> Some information/introduction regarding this would be helpful. I already read the following page: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/MDN/Community/Conversations

dev-mdc is about the contents on MDN, dev-mdn about the technical
platform behind it.

> The #mdn IRC-channel seems the most appropriate but I don't have an IRC client and don't really plan installing one tbh.

You don't need to install one, you can also use an online IRC client
like mibbit:
https://chat.mibbit.com/

> I then found out how to revert changes but I'm curious how that works exactly: Does that just revert the page's content and add another history entry the Git-way

Yes, you'll get another entry in the history. One obvious reason for
that is that you'd otherwise lose the history and don't have an
explanation why the revert was made. See e.g. my edit from Sep 16,
2016 at https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/SVG/Element/radialGradient$history.

Sebastian