The Sheppy Report (April 24, 2015)

Eric Shepherd

Apr 24, 2015, 10:34:07 PM4/24/15
to dev-mdc [Docs]
Another week done! Here's a quick list of the more interesting things I
did this week. I had no idea how busy I was until I wrote this down...

* Created
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/MDN/Plans/Remove_in-content_iframes,
which provides detailed instructions on how to handle removing
iframes from content on MDN, as well as a list of pages that need to
be updated.
* Moved the "MDN feedback" page into the MDN hierarchy, removed text
specific to the MDN redesign project from 2013, and made other minor
improvements.
* Spent a good bit of my time researching WebRTC since I want to start
working on the next sample as my next primary task.
* Implemented the ability to specify which tabs you want to display
when calling the JSFiddleEmbed macro.
* During research and other work, I found and fixed a ton of stuff,
and did a substantial rewrite or two.
* Lots of communication! I've launched discussions about things including:
o Information gathering for WebRTC documentation, including about
multi-endpoint video and identity support.
o Created an etherpad for (and started discussion on dev-mdc
about) upcoming editor toolbar revamp work. I hope to start
making some time to work on that in the next couple of weeks, as
it could make a huge difference in the contributor experience
while being pretty easy to do.
o Started a round of follow-ups on projects from the HackOnMDN
Berlin event. The goal is to help these projects become ongoing
efforts instead of one-time demonstrations. Among other things,
I asked for status updates, suggested that each project set up a
place for keeping status updates and design plans, and suggested
that perhaps each project should get a mentor who will help see
it through the dev/PR/review/deployment process.
* While working on the macro for automatically generating the API
reference landing page, I noticed some consistency issues with the
naming and structure of our API docs (this is not a surprise), and
those need to be resolved before the macro can be completed. So I
started that discussion up, and it is progressing.
* Worked on updating many pages to no longer directly use <iframe> but
instead to use the macros for embedding common features.
* Added some details to
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Event/eventPhase;
also updated a couple of pages it links to. More work is needed but
smarter people need to do that work.
* Continued ongoing gathering of information from the Air Mozilla team
about using the MDN channel there for hosting of MDN video
materials, such as screencasts and demos. This is going really well,
and there are just a few outstanding questions left.
* Created an EmbedNewRelicChart macro so that our Server charts page
(https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/MDN/Kuma/Server_charts -
which I actually moved here from an old, out of date location) no
longer directly uses <iframe>s.

--

Eric Shepherd
Senior Technical Writer