Live examples - opening codepens/jsfiddles in the same tab is annoying?

Chris Mills

Jun 29, 2016, 6:25:20 AM6/29/16
to MDC Mailinglist
Hi all,

A good point was just made (by gotoprototype) on the #mdn mailing list - our live samples have those “Open in codepen” and “Open in jsfiddle” buttons at the top of them by default, but they open in the same tab by default. This is annoying, especially as you can’t seem to use Ctrl/Cmd/middle click to open them in a separate tab.

It would be better if they opened in a new tab by default.

There’s an example at the bottom of the following section:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Learn/HTML/Introduction_to_HTML/Advanced_text_formatting#Representing_computer_code

What do we think? Should we change this?

Chris Mills
Senior tech writer || Mozilla
developer.mozilla.org || MDN
cmi...@mozilla.com || @chrisdavidmills

Chris Mills

Jun 29, 2016, 6:39:15 AM6/29/16
to Jean-Yves Perrier, Stephanie Hobson, MDC Mailinglist
Done!

Stephanie, we’d love your thoughts on this.

Chris Mills
Senior tech writer || Mozilla
developer.mozilla.org || MDN
cmi...@mozilla.com || @chrisdavidmills

> On 29 Jun 2016, at 11:37, Jean-Yves Perrier <jype...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> cc/ Stephanie for her insight there.
>
> (I think it is a good idea)
>

> --
> Jean-Yves Perrier
> Senior St. Project Manager, Developer Documentation / MDN

Anthony Maton

Jun 29, 2016, 6:41:04 AM6/29/16
to Jean-Yves Perrier, Chris Mills, Stephanie Hobson, MDC Mailinglist
Hello,

As a standard user (I love that javascript doc), I think it would be a
great improvement.

Sebastian Zartner

Jun 29, 2016, 7:30:13 AM6/29/16
to Anthony Maton, Jean-Yves Perrier, Stephanie Hobson, Chris Mills, MDC Mailinglist
I totally agree on changing that. I just missed to raise this so far.
So, thanks for bringing this up, Chris/gotoprototype!

Sebastian

Jeremie Patonnier

Jun 29, 2016, 8:34:31 AM6/29/16
to Sebastian Zartner, Jean-Yves Perrier, Stephanie Hobson, Chris Mills, Anthony Maton, MDC Mailinglist
+1
Jeremie
Web : http://jeremie.patonnier.net
Twitter : @JeremiePat <http://twitter.com/JeremiePat>

Stephanie Hobson

Jun 29, 2016, 9:58:52 AM6/29/16
to Jeremie Patonnier, Jean-Yves Perrier, MDC Mailinglist, Sebastian Zartner, Anthony Maton, Chris Mills
Hi All,

I agree it would be much better to have them open in new tabs unfortunately
the buttons are not links but submit buttons for forms and we were not able
to find a way to make the post data transmit properly and get it to open in
a new tab :(

S.

Eric Shepherd

Jun 29, 2016, 10:10:15 AM6/29/16
to Stephanie Hobson, Jean-Yves Perrier, Jeremie Patonnier, MDC Mailinglist, Sebastian Zartner, Chris Mills, Anthony Maton
It's also worth pointing out that CodePen now offers support for inline
embedding of pens (see http://codepen.io/embeds), so you can let people
tinker with (and see running) the code in-place.

--

Eric Shepherd
Senior Technical Writer

Janet Swisher

Jul 1, 2016, 12:59:37 PM7/1/16
to Eric Shepherd, Stephanie Hobson, Jean-Yves Perrier, Jeremie Patonnier, MDC Mailinglist, Sebastian Zartner, Chris Mills, Anthony Maton
Embedding them would be very cool, and would provide a capability that's
offered by popular webdev tutorial sites.

--

Janet Swisher <mailto:jREMOVE...@mozilla.com>
Mozilla Developer Network <https://developer.mozilla.org>

Eric Shepherd

Jul 7, 2016, 6:07:54 PM7/7/16
to Janet Swisher, Jean-Yves Perrier, Jeremie Patonnier, Stephanie Hobson, MDC Mailinglist, Sebastian Zartner, Chris Mills, Anthony Maton
As I recall, the view in CodePen/view in JSFiddle buttons are inserted
by the server side rather than from within the EmbedLiveSample macro
itself, which complicates attempting to do this. I would love to see
some thoughts on designs for how this could work without making a mess
of things, because it would be awesome.