Biggest app development topics to call out on App Center?

Chris Mills

Apr 8, 2014, 2:39:23 PM4/8/14
to dev-mdc, Jason Weathersby, Frédéric Harper
hi all,

I was just reading some research/observations on Firefox OS development, and what developers said the main pain points were, and I’ve updated the App Center to suit:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Apps

you’ll see that there are now way less categories present below the “Design/Build/Publish” box, and I’ve made the information less duplicative on the whole.

Any more thoughts from anyone about what other topics should get a special callout, which aren’t highlighted enough in the main nav?

Best,

Chris Mills
Senior tech writer || Mozilla
developer.mozilla.org || MDN
cmi...@mozilla.com || @chrisdavidmills

Jason Weathersby

Apr 8, 2014, 5:27:39 PM4/8/14
to Chris Mills, dev-mdc, Frédéric Harper
Chris

It looks good. I wonder if we should have a quick link to app validator on the main page as well. I would also like to see phonegap bubble up a bit and finally a possible quick link to the monetizing article.

Jason

Chris Mills

Apr 9, 2014, 6:34:15 AM4/9/14
to Jason Weathersby, dev-mdc, Frédéric Harper

On 8 Apr 2014, at 22:27, Jason Weathersby <jweat...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Chris
>
> It looks good. I wonder if we should have a quick link to app validator on the main page as well.

I’m not sure about linking to the App Validator page[1] from the front page yet, as it needs work, and the App Validator doesn’t work smoothly across platforms. I’ve not really found anyone to help me with the content for it since Matt Basta left Mozilla.

> I would also like to see phonegap bubble up a bit

I’ve linked to the cordova page from the components section - good call.

> and finally a possible quick link to the monetizing article.

Weeeeell, Payments is specifically called out in the Publish section in the main box at the top. I’m not sure it is needed there as well?

Chris

[1] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Apps/Build/App_Validator

Frédéric Harper

Apr 9, 2014, 9:13:21 AM4/9/14
to Chris Mills, Jason Weathersby, dev-mdc
Good job! I would maybe invert the order in the components' section as
PhoneGap is critical for scaling the marketplace, and as far as I know,
Brick is actively developed, more than Mortar.

Fred
--
*Frédéric Harper*
Sr. Technical Evangelist - Mozilla

Chris Mills

Apr 9, 2014, 9:21:42 AM4/9/14
to Frédéric Harper, Jason Weathersby, dev-mdc
Good call - I’ve inverted it!