Translation: free and open source software

Eduardo Trápani

Sep 9, 2017, 12:37:36 AM9/9/17
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi,

For the translation of "%1$s is free and open source software made by
Mozilla and other contributors." some locales went for "free" as in
"free speech", and some for "free" as in "free beer".

Which one should it be for that particular string? (context: Focus for
Android / your_rights_content1)

Eduardo.

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]

Sep 9, 2017, 2:05:20 AM9/9/17
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Il 09/09/17 06.37, Eduardo Trápani ha scritto:
Disclaimer: I don't think we have guidelines for this (I'll try to
figure out if we have any), so this is a strictly personal opinion ;-)

Ideally both concepts should be there. If you want to keep only one,
"free as in speech" seems way more important than "free as in beer".

Side note: the about:rights page for Focus heavily borrows from the
Firefox page. Translation should be consistent
https://transvision.mozfr.org/string/?entity=browser/chrome/browser/aboutHome.dtd:abouthome.rightsSnippet&repo=central

Francesco

Michal Stanke

Sep 9, 2017, 5:16:18 AM9/9/17
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Eduardo.

For Czech we use free as in "free speech", because it's a consensus in
our language, how to translate "free and open source software". On the
other hand it's true, people usually do not know, what exactly FOSS
mean. :)

Michal

Fabio Beneditto

Sep 9, 2017, 2:46:40 PM9/9/17
to Eduardo Trápani, dev-l10n
Hi!

Here en Brazil we use Free as "Free Speech" (pt_BR: Livre).

There is a lot of difference from "Free Beer" (pt_BR: Grátis).

:wq!

*Fabio Beneditto <http://about.me/fabiobeneditto>* - a.k.a. *KamiKazeNH
<http://blog.altoscodigos.com.br>*
"A vida é mais bela quando vista de cima de uma motocicleta"
"A hacker does for love what anyone will do for money"