Focus Android v2.0 strings + important info about upcoming Focus releases

Delphine L

Jul 28, 2017, 12:52:44 PM7/28/17
to dev-l10n
Hello localizers!

Some more strings for Focus Android have landed! In fact, Focus for Android
will be moving to a bi-weekly cadence. Focus for iOS will likely follow the
same cadence. Whether both will be synced or not is still under discussion
(right now we are leaning to syncing them, but stay tuned).

In any case, this means there will be strings landing every 2 weeks for
Focus, which means that while this is more often, the work load will be
smaller. It also let's us make fixes and improvements much faster. You can
find this new schedule here[1]

*What does this mean for this time around?*
* l10n deadline: Aug 9 (localizing + testing). Since I actually hand off
languages on the 10th, it makes sense to have everything done more towards
the 9th - which is why this is one day earlier than what's noted on the
Focus Android train schedule
* New strings: 5 short ones
* Modified strings: 1
* Deleted strings: 0

You can find the strings as usual on Pontoon [2] right now - and on Pootle
[3] by the next tick of the hour.

*Testing*
Screenshots will be provided for testing soon.

For those of you using BuddyBuild, you'll get updated builds every week. If
you want to be on a localized Buddybuild, reach out to me and I'll get you
plugged in.

*Sign-offs*
For mobile app projects (so all except Firefox for Android), we will be
shipping all locales that:
- are at 100% complete translation with no remaining errors on the web
dashboard at l10n deadline,
https://l10n.mozilla-community.org/webstatus/?product=focus-android

- have no visible l10n errors upon review of the locale's screenshots
(e.g., significant truncation, text overflow, encoding, etc.) besides what
may have already been reported to the mobile team to correct.

We've realized the past process (ie. communities explicitly signing-off
within a bug for each locale) does not scale. We've also missed the
opportunity to ship locales that were good and ready to go because
localizers did not sign-off on time on their bug. With time, we've noticed
it is safe to ship completed locales, as localizers are generally diligent
in checking that their work looks good on screenshots, and otherwise filing
bugs to fix issues.

*Finding issues*
If you find any issues, please add :delphine to them (there's
no tracking bug at the moment).

As a reminder, Focus for Android-specific issues are currently filed here:
https://github.com/mozilla-mobile/focus-android/issues

As always, if you have any questions or comments, please let us know.

Thanks!

[1] https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Focus/Android/Train_Schedule
[2] https://pontoon.mozilla.org/projects/focus-for-android/
[3] https://mozilla.locamotion.org/projects/focus_android/

Michal Stanke

Jul 31, 2017, 2:05:56 PM7/31/17
to Delphine Lebédel, dev-l10n
Hi Delphine.

Does the team have a plan to add the dates to the release calendar, or make
a new one, so we can add it and see updates and future versions?

What if we miss one version update and do not translate new strings in
time, e.g. because of holidays? Will the users get incomplete localization,
will they be switched to English or skip the update?

--
Michal Stanke

Dne 28. 7. 2017 6:52 odpoledne napsal uživatel "Delphine L" <

Delphine L

Aug 2, 2017, 6:51:42 PM8/2/17
to Michal Stanke, dev-l10n
Hi Michal,

Sorry for not responding sooner, I was taking some time off :) Comments
in-line:

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 11:05 AM, Michal Stanke <mst...@mozilla.cz> wrote:

> Hi Delphine.
>
> Does the team have a plan to add the dates to the release calendar, or
> make a new one, so we can add it and see updates and future versions?

At the time, there are no plans to add these dates to a release calendar.
We just have the chart up here: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobil
e/Focus/Android/Train_Schedule

But I'll pop that question in at our next meeting just in case ;)

> What if we miss one version update and do not translate new strings in
> time, e.g. because of holidays? Will the users get incomplete localization,
> will they be switched to English or skip the update?

Typically, we'll just get an incomplete localization in. Unless it's a
"high risk" string (so very user-facing, critical, security-related, etc)
we won't be dropping a locale entirely just because it's missing it. I
don't foresee that happening very often. It's always better to have most of
the UI translated than falling back to English entirely just because of a
few missing strings. Especially if your locale has been shipping in the
past.

I don't expect us to be getting a lot of strings each time anyways. Also,
if you miss one cycle, then you get to update those strings for the next
release, which is only 2 weeks away each time.

Hope this helps!
delphine
--
Delphine

Delphine L

Aug 4, 2017, 2:53:09 PM8/4/17
to dev-l10n
Screenshots are here and will be updated regularly from now on:
https://npark-mozilla.github.io/

Let us know if you see anything weird or missing! :)

delphine

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 9:52 AM, Delphine L <lebedel....@gmail.com>
wrote:
--
Delphine

Julen Ruiz Aizpuru

Aug 5, 2017, 2:16:50 AM8/5/17
to dev-l10n
> Screenshots are here and will be updated regularly from now on:
> https://npark-mozilla.github.io/
>
> Let us know if you see anything weird or missing! :)

Thank you Delphine. I realize screenshots for 'eu' are missing. Would
it be possible to have them available in the next update? Thanks!

Julen.

Maykon Chagas

Aug 6, 2017, 3:14:30 PM8/6/17
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Delphine,

Just FYI, we've opened an issue[1] about "Your Rights" pages which is
not available to localize on pt-BR.

[1] https://github.com/mozilla-mobile/focus-android/issues/1095

Thanks!

Em 04/08/2017 15:52, Delphine L escreveu:
> Screenshots are here and will be updated regularly from now on:
> https://npark-mozilla.github.io/
>
> Let us know if you see anything weird or missing! :)

Maykon Chagas

GPG: 1E1A 2C79 8C53 FA4E

Delphine L

Aug 8, 2017, 2:17:28 PM8/8/17
to dev-l10n
Update: screenshots are regularly updated now, so I won't be calling
it out here. You can check every few days for updated iterations. Just
reach out to me directly if you see anything weird, or have any
comments/concerns :)

Friendly reminder that deadline is tomorrow!
thanks

> [...]
> may have already been reported to the mobile team to correct.
>
> We've realized the past process (ie. communities explicitly signing-off
> within a bug for each locale) does not scale. We've also missed the
> opportunity to ship locales that were good and ready to go because
> localizers did not sign-off on time on their bug. With time, we've noticed
> it is safe to ship completed locales, as localizers are generally diligent
> in checking that their work looks good on screenshots, and otherwise filing
> bugs to fix issues.
>
> Finding issues
> If you find any issues, please add :delphine to them (there's
> no tracking bug at the moment).
>
> As a reminder, Focus for Android-specific issues are currently filed here:
> https://github.com/mozilla-mobile/focus-android/issues
>
> As always, if you have any questions or comments, please let us know.

Jordi Serratosa

Aug 8, 2017, 5:32:55 PM8/8/17
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Delphine,

Some feedback about the screenshots page: Is it possible to get a URL
with only the screenshots for my locale?

It takes an awful lot of time to load the screenshots page
(https://npark-mozilla.github.io/) since it loads _all _(32) screenshots
for _all _(59) locales... Also, some people might be limited on
bandwidth too.

slaut,
jordi s

El 04/08/2017 a les 20:52, Delphine L ha escrit:
> Screenshots are here and will be updated regularly from now on:
> https://npark-mozilla.github.io/
>
> Let us know if you see anything weird or missing! :)
>
> delphine
>
> On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 9:52 AM, Delphine L <lebedel....@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello localizers!
>>
>> Some more strings for Focus Android have landed! In fact, Focus for
>> Android will be moving to a bi-weekly cadence. Focus for iOS will likely
>> follow the same cadence. Whether both will be synced or not is still under
>> discussion (right now we are leaning to syncing them, but stay tuned).
>>
>> In any case, this means there will be strings landing every 2 weeks for
>> Focus, which means that while this is more often, the work load will be
>> smaller. It also let's us make fixes and improvements much faster. You can
>> find this new schedule here[1]
>>
>> *What does this mean for this time around?*
>> * l10n deadline: Aug 9 (localizing + testing). Since I actually hand off
>> languages on the 10th, it makes sense to have everything done more towards
>> the 9th - which is why this is one day earlier than what's noted on the
>> Focus Android train schedule
>> * New strings: 5 short ones
>> * Modified strings: 1
>> * Deleted strings: 0
>>
>> You can find the strings as usual on Pontoon [2] right now - and on Pootle
>> [3] by the next tick of the hour.
>>
>> *Testing*
>> Screenshots will be provided for testing soon.
>>
>> For those of you using BuddyBuild, you'll get updated builds every week.
>> If you want to be on a localized Buddybuild, reach out to me and I'll get
>> you plugged in.
>>
>> *Sign-offs*
>> For mobile app projects (so all except Firefox for Android), we will be
>> shipping all locales that:
>> - are at 100% complete translation with no remaining errors on the web
>> dashboard at l10n deadline,
>> https://l10n.mozilla-community.org/webstatus/?product=focus-android
>>
>> - have no visible l10n errors upon review of the locale's screenshots
>> (e.g., significant truncation, text overflow, encoding, etc.) besides what
>> may have already been reported to the mobile team to correct.
>>
>> We've realized the past process (ie. communities explicitly signing-off
>> within a bug for each locale) does not scale. We've also missed the
>> opportunity to ship locales that were good and ready to go because
>> localizers did not sign-off on time on their bug. With time, we've noticed
>> it is safe to ship completed locales, as localizers are generally diligent
>> in checking that their work looks good on screenshots, and otherwise filing
>> bugs to fix issues.
>>
>> *Finding issues*

Delphine L

Aug 8, 2017, 5:42:21 PM8/8/17
to Jordi Serratosa, dev-l10n
Hey Jordi,

Thought I had already posted it on the mailint list - but seems like
that was actually an individual email...

Yes, you can check them out direcly on github here:
https://github.com/npark-mozilla/npark-mozilla.github.io

There should be a direct url redirecting to Gitbooks too, but I can't
find it for some reason. Will keep you posted when I do.

thanks
delphine

Eduardo Trápani

Aug 8, 2017, 8:59:19 PM8/8/17
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
> Yes, you can check them out direcly on github here:
> https://github.com/npark-mozilla/npark-mozilla.github.io

Could you change it in the Pontoon project description? Right now it
points to:

https://npark-mozilla.github.io/index.html

and it kills my browser (all images from all locales at once).

Eduardo.

Delphine L

Aug 10, 2017, 11:36:00 AM8/10/17
to Eduardo Trápani, dev-l10n
Yeah, I'll do that once I get a better link than the one to GitHub.
Traveling to Paraguay now so the internet is flaky.
thanks