Latest update to iOS repos & iOS dashboard

Jeff Beatty

Apr 14, 2015, 5:57:50 PM4/14/15
to dev-l10n
Hi everyone,

The Stefan and the iOS team have landed the latest string changes to the
iOS project in SVN. There are about 30% or more new string changes.
These include new strings as well as a lot of developer notes added to
each translation unit element. Once the iOS en-US template is updated in
Pootle, these strings will be available to locales using Pootle to localize.

We have experienced some challenges recently. Because Apple released
iOS8.3 and Xcode 6.3 recently, some of the native import/export tools
are broken. Thanks to some smooth Python scripting from flod, your repos
contain xliff files that are cleaner than if they had come from Xcode
itself.

Flod has also updated the webdashboard for the iOS project. Untranslated
strings are now considered to be strings available in the file but not
localized (no |target|). Missing strings are now considered to be
strings that are available in the en-US source, but not in the locale
file. Your locale's completion progress percentage is determined by
adding the number of missing strings to the number of strings actually
available in the file.

We're getting close to the string freeze deadline (1 May), so this is
one of the last few updates in the pipeline between now and then.

Thank you all for your help. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Jeff

--
*Jeff Beatty*
Localization Engineer

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]

Apr 15, 2015, 3:10:46 AM4/15/15
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Il 15/04/15 08:27, Michael 'Coce' Köhler ha scritto:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> One short question: there is a new string called „Bookmark“ in line 97¹⁾
> of the file. Is that a noun as in „this is a bookmark“ or a verb as in
> „bookmark this page“? The note doesn’t tell me.
It's the accessibility label associated to the "Bookmark" icon (star) in
the toolbar. So interpreting it as a verb would be natural (i.e. "Add to
bookmarks").

But: if you press the button, the star becomes blue and the page is
added to bookmarks. If you visit the page again, the icon will be blue
to indicate that the page is already bookmarked, and "Add to bookmarks"
doesn't make much sense. For this reason I personally considered it as a
noun.

Francesco

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]

Apr 15, 2015, 3:30:33 AM4/15/15
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Il 14/04/15 23:57, Jeff Beatty ha scritto:
> We have experienced some challenges recently. Because Apple released
> iOS8.3 and Xcode 6.3 recently, some of the native import/export tools
> are broken. Thanks to some smooth Python scripting from flod, your
> repos contain xliff files that are cleaner than if they had come from
> Xcode itself.
Side note: if you notice anything weird after an update (like strings
that were translated and now they're not), please let us know. The only
differences you should notice, besides added strings, are some minor
indentation/style fixes.

Example for German
http://viewvc.svn.mozilla.org/vc/projects/l10n-misc/trunk/firefox-ios/de/firefox-ios.xliff?r1=140228&r2=140238

> Flod has also updated the webdashboard for the iOS project.
> Untranslated strings are now considered to be strings available in the
> file but not localized (no |target|). Missing strings are now
> considered to be strings that are available in the en-US source, but
> not in the locale file. Your locale's completion progress percentage
> is determined by adding the number of missing strings to the number of
> strings actually available in the file.
One more update this morning, since the file is getting quite long to check.

If there are missing or untranslated strings, you can click on the
numbers and get to a page that lists all missing, obsolete, and
untranslated strings.

Example for Indonesian (45 missing)
https://l10n.mozilla-community.org/~flod/webstatus/views/xliff_diff.php?product=firefox-ios&locale=id

Example for French (1 missing)
https://l10n.mozilla-community.org/~flod/webstatus/views/xliff_diff.php?product=firefox-ios&locale=fr

"Client/Info.plist: NSLocationWhenInUseUsageDescription" Means that the
string with ID "NSLocationWhenInUseUsageDescription" is missing from the
file unit " Client/Info.plist".

Francesco