Mozillians website not updated with latest L10n translations

Cristian Silaghi

Sep 10, 2016, 9:26:54 AM9/10/16
Hey there. Recently I saw that some texts on Mozillians website are not updated for Romanian locale.

For example this string https://pontoon.mozilla.org/ro/mozillians/LC_MESSAGES/django.po/?search=A+fitted-cut+tshirt&string=142473

We have the translation made 9 months ago, but on the website we see this: http://i.imgur.com/k2Wu4oT.png

I don't understand why the string didn't land on Mozillians yet.

My question is... How often Mozillians website is updated? There is an automatic process?

Because 9 months sound a lot IMHO and the problem might exist for other locales too.

Thank you in advance.

Стоян Димитров

Sep 13, 2016, 5:59:01 AM9/13/16
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
The usual silence that envelops all questions of this sort. It's almost
the same in the IRC.

If we are about to spend our free time (the weather is still quite nice
in this part of the world) doing stuff that we enjoy for the good of the
Web the most natural thing to expect is to have the corresponding
support. I do not know if it is not realized by now but asking for
update intervals for every web project one by one from every interested
translator (not to mention that every translator should know that) is
not the best thing and serves no one. This info must be readily
available and easily discoverable by the community. Maybe in the
description of the project in Pontoon along with the link to the
staging, on some dashboard or somewhere else it really doesn't matter where.

Do you know what happened the last time I asked the same question for
SUMO? I got: "Do not translate it. We're not going to pick up any UI
translations - we're migrating the platform. Translate articles instead.
Can someone make this info discoverable?" I was asking because another
member of the community spent several days making suggestions. That was
one of his first contributions.

С.

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]

Sep 13, 2016, 6:22:39 AM9/13/16
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, johngi...@gmail.com
I understand the frustration, but I wouldn't call "usual silence" a lack
of reply over the week-end. Also, it's not an excuse, but most l10n
drivers were on a plane during said week-end.

Having said that, I agree that this kind of information should be
available somewhere. The hard part is that we don't manage these
projects (SUMO included), so we have to rely on developers to reply to
these questions, and it doesn't always happen.

Since this is a web project, dev-l10n-web would have been the natural
place to ask. No idea if that would have caught more attention, maybe not.

CCing the last person who touched strings on Mozillians. If that doesn't
work, the best way is to file a bug and ask what's going on.

Francesco

> The usual silence that envelops all questions of this sort. It's
> almost the same in the IRC.
>
> If we are about to spend our free time (the weather is still quite
> nice in this part of the world) doing stuff that we enjoy for the good
> of the Web the most natural thing to expect is to have the
> corresponding support. I do not know if it is not realized by now but
> asking for update intervals for every web project one by one from
> every interested translator (not to mention that every translator
> should know that) is not the best thing and serves no one. This info
> must be readily available and easily discoverable by the community.
> Maybe in the description of the project in Pontoon along with the link
> to the staging, on some dashboard or somewhere else it really doesn't
> matter where.
>
> Do you know what happened the last time I asked the same question for
> SUMO? I got: "Do not translate it. We're not going to pick up any UI
> translations - we're migrating the platform. Translate articles
> instead. Can someone make this info discoverable?" I was asking
> because another member of the community spent several days making
> suggestions. That was one of his first contributions.
>
> С.
>
> На 10.09.2016 г. в 16:26, Cristian Silaghi написа:

John Giannelos

Sep 13, 2016, 9:00:42 AM9/13/16
to Francesco Lodolo [:flod], dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, par...@mozilla.com
Hey all!

Regarding mozillians.org l10n process, we are trying to update the
strings in our production deployment [1] on each code release. That
said, previous push to prod was on Jul 25. I am not sure why the
specific string was not translated in prod but it looks OK now after
today's release [2].

https://imgur.com/a/R38ee

For bugs/features related to l10n you can always open a bug here [3].

Best,
Nemo

[1] mozillians.org
[2] https://github.com/mozilla/mozillians/releases/tag/2016.9-1
[3] https://mzl.la/1BK8QB0

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]

Sep 13, 2016, 9:04:51 AM9/13/16
to jgian...@mozilla.com, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, par...@mozilla.com
Thanks John.

I've double checked Romanian, and the string was confirmed (unfuzzied)
on Jul 20
https://github.com/mozilla-l10n/mozillians-l10n/commit/e05c0a76a8132585b9e57b3793d387a6314080ed#diff-6c1791811137ffde61a74e86beb2df1eL1415

If the previous push to prod happened on Jul 25, something clearly went
wrong.

Francesco

Merike Sell

Sep 13, 2016, 2:31:43 PM9/13/16
When exactly was that? Sumo seems to have communicated it on
https://blog.mozilla.org/sumo/2016/08/18/whats-up-with-sumo-18th-august/
not sure why it didn't make it into sumo-locale-leaders list though.

Merike