iOS 5.0 - Soft Hyphens

Stefan Arentz

Jun 30, 2016, 7:47:39 AM6/30/16
to dev-l10n, Emily Toop

TL;DR If you know how to insert soft hyphens, you can do so. I can make more screenshots in a couple of hours if you want to see how that looks.

Hey all,

Just a quick note that I did a little experiment with soft hyphens. In the dutch version I placed a soft hyphen in “Desktop-website” which then looks like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fw5n53bjelrhkyw/Screenshot%202016-06-30%2007.39.04.png?dl=0

The soft hyphen is not forced. It is just a hint and only used when the word needs to break. So I think this means it is safe to use on bigger screens where the break is not needed. (I verified this by putting the soft hyphen also in some shorter words in menu titles, and those are not broken up)

Now the only thing is, I don’t know how to get these into the strings. For my test I just used the OS X Character Panel to insert a soft hyphen directly in the generated .strings file. If you work in XML or Pootle, I don’t know what to use. Who can explain this?

S.

Axel Hecht

Jun 30, 2016, 8:19:07 AM6/30/16
to Stefan Arentz, Emily Toop
So, for xliff, this should be easy, by literally using ­.

For pootle and pontoon, I don't know. For pontoon, you could still edit
the xliff directly, and have pontoon read the value back in.

Or dig up the keyboard helpers for your OS, and get to code point 173.

Axel

Fjoerfoks

Jun 30, 2016, 8:33:25 AM6/30/16
to dev-l10n
On Github, I added ­ to the Frisian version on line 2314, not in line
1489, hoping that's the correct line. Let's see what comes out.

Wim

Leandro Regueiro

Jun 30, 2016, 11:49:50 AM6/30/16
to Axel Hecht, dev-l10n, Emily Toop
> So, for xliff, this should be easy, by literally using &#173;.
>
> For pootle and pontoon, I don't know. For pontoon, you could still edit the
> xliff directly, and have pontoon read the value back in.

Hi,
literally typing &#173; on Pootle works too.

Bye

> Or dig up the keyboard helpers for your OS, and get to code point 173.
>
> Axel
>

> On 30/06/16 13:47, Stefan Arentz wrote:
>>

>> TL;DR If you know how to insert soft hyphens, you can do so. I can make
>> more screenshots in a couple of hours if you want to see how that looks.
>>

>> Hey all,
>>
>> Just a quick note that I did a little experiment with soft hyphens. In the
>> dutch version I placed a soft hyphen in “Desktop-website” which then looks
>> like this:
>>

>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/fw5n53bjelrhkyw/Screenshot%202016-06-30%2007.39.04.png?dl=0
>>
>> The soft hyphen is not forced. It is just a hint and only used when the
>> word needs to break. So I think this means it is safe to use on bigger
>> screens where the break is not needed. (I verified this by putting the soft
>> hyphen also in some shorter words in menu titles, and those are not broken
>> up)
>>
>> Now the only thing is, I don’t know how to get these into the strings. For
>> my test I just used the OS X Character Panel to insert a soft hyphen
>> directly in the generated .strings file. If you work in XML or Pootle, I
>> don’t know what to use. Who can explain this?
>>
>> S.

droid...@gmail.com

Jul 10, 2016, 4:25:25 PM7/10/16
If its needed for Swedish it would be neat if you can add it where needed as i am not really sure where too add this :P