MXR permanently offline, please transition to DXR

Lawrence Mandel

Jun 22, 2016, 2:31:05 PM6/22/16
to dev-platform, firefox-dev, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Mozilla Cross-Reference, better known as MXR (https://mxr.mozilla.org), was
taken offline on June 13, 2016, to investigate a potential security issue.
After careful review of the codebase, we have decided to accelerate the
planned transition from MXR to its more modern equivalent, DXR (
https://dxr.mozilla.org), instead of bringing MXR back online. As far as we
know there was never a security compromise, but the unsupported legacy
codebase (forked from an old version of LXR) would require significant time
and effort to rewrite and bring up to spec.

Our transition plan is as follows:

-

Add an interstitial web page at https://mxr.mozilla.org that displays a
best-guess URL for the equivalent https://dxr.mozilla.org file data.
This will help interactive users retrieve data from historical links in
applications like Bugzilla.
-

Redirect certdata.txt and effective_tld_names.dat to their canonical
source code repositories instead of DXR. All other search queries and
automatic pulling of raw files by third parties will no longer be supported
at the https://mxr.mozilla.org URL.
-

Index the remaining repos listed in MXR in DXR for data parity, using
bug 1281443 to track progress. Repos will be indexed in the order listed
unless otherwise specified. If you need to prioritize the indexing of
specific repos, please open a bug and block against bug 1281443.

Our expectation is that the interstitial page will be in place and the
following remaining high-priority repos will be indexed by June 24th, 2016:

-

add-ons
-

servo
-

l10n

If you have concerns, questions, or requests, please open a new bug and
mark it as blocking bug 1281443 or add a comment to one of its existing
dependent bugs. Additional status updates will also be posted to bug
1281443 and its dependent bugs.

Lawrence

Erik Rose

Jun 30, 2016, 3:56:25 PM6/30/16
to Kendall Libby, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, dev-platform, Lawrence Mandel, firefox-dev, Dão Gottwald
Hi, Kendall. As a pain mitigation strategy for MXR URLs embedded immutably in Bugzilla and in people's Awesomebar histories, can we redirect MXR requests as Dão suggests? Some won't work, but many will, and those people will be less sad.