[Firefox] Please translate on mozilla-aurora, use mozilla-beta wisely

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]

Aug 31, 2016, 9:02:02 AM8/31/16
to Mozilla l10n Mailing List
Hi,
I've noticed a couple of locales doing work directly in Beta, and I want
to make sure that everyone is aware of the risks involved.

Note also that Beta sign-offs are closing Today, so no point in landing
further changes. Only minor corrections will be accepted, since there
are no further beta builds to test and correct issues.

*Mercurial*
On merge day, the content of mozilla-aurora is going to be moved to
mozilla-beta, overwriting the existing files.

If you translate a string only in mozilla-beta but not in
mozilla-aurora, that work will be lost. To avoid that, make sure you
commit your changes to Aurora, not just Beta, before merge day.

*Pontoon*
As the project description says: "You should only work on Beta to fix
issues. The right place to translate is Firefox Aurora."

We have a Firefox Beta project to let you fix minor issues without
waiting an entire cycle, not to do active localization. Practical
example: if you translate a string in Firefox Beta, that string will
remain untranslated in Firefox Aurora, you will have to translate it
again (you will be able to use suggestions).

Please use Firefox Aurora for the main localization process, and Beta
only for QA activity.

Francesco

Kim Ludvigsen

Aug 31, 2016, 10:43:05 AM8/31/16
31-08-2016 at 15:01 Francesco Lodolo [:flod] wrote:

> I've noticed a couple of locales doing work directly in Beta, and I want
> to make sure that everyone is aware of the risks involved.

We had to do it this time in the Danish translation because a certain
person gave us the wrong deadline last time ;-)

--
Kind regards
Kim Ludvigsen

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]

Aug 31, 2016, 10:53:46 AM8/31/16
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Il 31/08/16 16.42, Kim Ludvigsen ha scritto:
Yeah :-\

It's not really a problem working directly in Beta through Mercurial, as
long as you're aware that you need to commit on Aurora too, and that the
available time is shorter.

Francesco