Project priorities on Pontoon

Michal Stanke

Apr 11, 2017, 5:45:02 AM4/11/17
to dev-l10n
Hi.

I am looking at the priorities on Pontoon and I am not sure, what is the
reason for some of them. I understand that Firefox for desktop and
Android are 5*, as well as the Mozilla.org web. But I am confused about
Firefox Screenshots, Engagement, Activity Stream, Pocket and Mozillians.

Activity Stream should get to Firefox soon as the default new tab and
homepage. I expect it to be the same priority as Firefox itself, because
the homepage is the first you see in Firefox. Engagement are just short
snippets displayed on that homepage, so I expect them to be equal or
less (but not more) important than the page itself.

Then there are Firefox Screenshots and Pocket. Both are be system
add-ons shipped (or soon) in Firefox. I understand these are specific
features not for everyone and do not see much difference between them at
this point. Maybe for one star because Pocket itself is not localized
into most of the languages yet, but not three.

The last project is Mozillians. Personally I would rate it 1*, as has
mostly internal usage. And as all the communication is in English,
Mozillians l10n may be only nice to have.

Cheers,
--
Michal Stanke

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]

Apr 11, 2017, 6:23:31 AM4/11/17
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
I can answer for some of them, since I'm the one who chose their priority.

Firefox Screenshots and Activity Stream are important, but not as time
sensitive as Firefox at the moment, that's why the priority is slightly
lower. They don't ride the trains, which means we can release more often
if needed. Priority might also change when plans for release are clearer.

Pocket is only 2 stars because it hasn't seen any update in months, and
its future in this form is unclear with Pocket's acquisition.

Engament is not just snippets, there are other things that have lower
priority. Note that Pontoon has only one priority per project, in the
dashboard (e.g. snippets) we have priority at file level, and snippets
are always a top priority. We hope to unify that information soon with
Pontoon.

Francesco

Michal Stanke

Apr 11, 2017, 7:03:17 AM4/11/17
to Francesco Lodolo, dev-l10n
Well, but Firefox Screenshots project is 5 star on Pontoon, which shouldn't
be if I understand correctly it is about the same as Activity stream, which
is 4 only.

I understand priorities as what should I do first, if it is not completed,
regardless the project changes history. If the project is 100%, there is
nothing to do there and the priority is not important for my momentary
work. So in case of Pocket, if a new string is added, it is 2 star only so
I may be still working e.g. on AMO Frontend or any project with higher
priority than Pocket. But in case Pocket would be 4 star, I stop working on
AMO Fronted to complete Pocket first. Moreover in case someone starts a new
language, they won't get to Pocket any soon.

So does the priority decision actually takes into account some
expectations, how likely it is there will be something new in the near
future too?

--
Michal Stanke

Dne 11. 4. 2017 12:23 napsal uživatel "Francesco Lodolo [:flod]" <

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]

Apr 11, 2017, 7:20:50 AM4/11/17
to Michal Stanke, dev-l10n
Il 11/04/17 13.03, Michal Stanke ha scritto:
> Well, but Firefox Screenshots project is 5 star on Pontoon, which
> shouldn't be if I understand correctly it is about the same as
> Activity stream, which is 4 only.
Indeed, I moved it to 4 for consistency.

> I understand priorities as what should I do first, if it is not
> completed, regardless the project changes history. If the project is
> 100%, there is nothing to do there and the priority is not important
> for my momentary work. So in case of Pocket, if a new string is added,
> it is 2 star only so I may be still working e.g. on AMO Frontend or
> any project with higher priority than Pocket. But in case Pocket would
> be 4 star, I stop working on AMO Fronted to complete Pocket first.
> Moreover in case someone starts a new language, they won't get to
> Pocket any soon.
>
> So does the priority decision actually takes into account some
> expectations, how likely it is there will be something new in the near
> future too?
As you said, priority is meant to help you prioritize incomplete work at
a specific moment in time.

If you login into Pontoon and need to complete 10 projects, priority
should help you figure out which one is more important in this specific
moment, together with deadlines.

Not sure I can give you an answer always valid to "does priority account
also for the probability of future string updates?", because it depends
case by case. So far, only Pocket falls into that bucket, and that's
only one of the reasons it has a low priority (old strings, updates are
painful and require a lot of time to reach release).

Francesco