Firefox for iOS updated with new strings on Pootle

Jeff Beatty

Apr 15, 2015, 11:56:59 AM4/15/15
to dev-l10n
Hi all,

As the subject reads, I've updated each locale's Firefox for iOS project
with the new en-US strings for translation. Please let me know if you
seen anything strange and I'll do my best to fix it.

Jeff
--
*Jeff Beatty*
Localization Engineer

Daniel Añez Scott

Apr 15, 2015, 11:25:23 PM4/15/15
Hi. I just took a look and didn't find an international Spanish version, only "Spanish (México)". Who could I ask to enable the international ES locale?

Thanks.

droid...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2015, 3:30:31 AM4/16/15
Did the strings i could help with at the moment, as i have 1 hour sparetime this morning, still 28 strings left to translate for iOS and 182 for Desktop for Swedish maybe something to work on at the sprint here in Stockholm next week and check some on the Swedish Webmaker Translation

CCed: the Swedish list aswell

//Martin

Jeffrey Beatty

Apr 16, 2015, 6:37:24 AM4/16/15
to Daniel Añez Scott, dev-l10n
Hi Daniel,

That would be me :-)

es is actually already available in svn. Just check it out from the repo,
translate, and commit. I've been maintaining it myself, but I'm more than
happy to have someone else take it over.

http://svn.mozilla.org/projects/l10n-misc/trunk/firefox-ios/es/

Thanks,
Jeff
El abr 15, 2015 9:30 PM, "Daniel Añez Scott" <daniels...@gmail.com>

Michael Wolf

Apr 19, 2015, 4:10:53 PM4/19/15
Jeff Beatty schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> As the subject reads, I've updated each locale's Firefox for iOS project
> with the new en-US strings for translation. Please let me know if you
> seen anything strange and I'll do my best to fix it.

Hi Jeff,

Wednesday, April 15, I translated new strings into dsb and hsb. Then I
waited four days until today that SVN is updated. But nothing happened.

Today I saw that Francesco corrected a translation error and I decided
to have look on Pootle again to check the translations. And I was
shocked when I saw that a lot of strings were untranslated although
Overview displayed that all strings are translated. It seemed that all
strings were untranslated now that I translated before last Wednesday.
So I had to translate them a second time. It is non-sense to fill in the
English strings in the translation input boxes and not mark them as to
be edited!

Besides, there is an error either in hsb or in dsb: In hsb strings
13417947 and 13417948 have the same English text: **History**. In dsb
they have different English texts: 13417947 has **History** and 13417948
has **Last month**. What is correct?

Regards,

Michael W.

Michael Wolf

Apr 19, 2015, 4:10:54 PM4/19/15
Jeff Beatty schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> As the subject reads, I've updated each locale's Firefox for iOS project
> with the new en-US strings for translation. Please let me know if you
> seen anything strange and I'll do my best to fix it.

Jeff Beatty

Apr 20, 2015, 9:18:37 AM4/20/15
to Michael Wolf, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Michael,

El 4/19/15 a las 2:09 PM, Michael Wolf escibió:
> Jeff Beatty schrieb:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> As the subject reads, I've updated each locale's Firefox for iOS project
>> with the new en-US strings for translation. Please let me know if you
>> seen anything strange and I'll do my best to fix it.
>>
> Hi Jeff,
>
> Wednesday, April 15, I translated new strings into dsb and hsb. Then I
> waited four days until today that SVN is updated. But nothing happened.
>
> Today I saw that Francesco corrected a translation error and I decided
> to have look on Pootle again to check the translations. And I was
> shocked when I saw that a lot of strings were untranslated although
> Overview displayed that all strings are translated. It seemed that all
> strings were untranslated now that I translated before last Wednesday.
The latest update was a large one. When I updated the dsb and hsb iOS
projects in Pootle, it appeared to be the same as with other locale's
iOS projects and didn't wipe the entire project clean. I sincerely
apologize if this was the case for your two locales. I hate to waste
yours and everyone else's time and effort. This is still a learning
process, since we're working with a new file format and new platform.
Since there will likely be 1-2 final updates to the source strings for
iOS, if you encounter similar problems with these updates, please reach
out first to give me a chance to fix what's broken before you proceed to
translate.
> So I had to translate them a second time. It is non-sense to fill in the
> English strings in the translation input boxes and not mark them as to
> be edited!
There is a reason for English strings being in the translation input
boxes. We're working to clean up the en-US XLIFF files after they're
exported from Xcode (as mentioned in the previous email). The latest
update to Xcode broke the string export utility, necessitating the XLIFF
cleaning. Part of cleaning up these files has included adding <target>
elements into each translation unit (segment) in the en-US xliff file,
where before they were not added to that file. Because these <target>
elements are now in the source XLIFF file, Pootle imports the XLIFF file
and imports the <target> elements as fuzzy string matches. Pootle does
not submit these fuzzy matches without your approving each one
individually. It flags these fuzzy matches as "Needs Work". When
importing these XLIFF files into Pootle, we'll have to be sure to remove
their <target> elements so Pootle doesn't import them as fuzzy matches
in the future.

> Besides, there is an error either in hsb or in dsb: In hsb strings
> 13417947 and 13417948 have the same English text: **History**. In dsb
> they have different English texts: 13417947 has **History** and 13417948
> has **Last month**. What is correct?
I'm very surprised to hear this. Let me look into it.

Thanks,
Jeff

> Regards,
>
> Michael W.

Michael Wolf

Apr 20, 2015, 3:13:45 PM4/20/15
Jeff Beatty schrieb:

Hi Jeff,

what did you or somebody else do? Now ***both hsb and dsb*** are
***fully untranslated*** again! And again they are ***not marked as
fuzzy***! Please do not destroy my work repeatedly!

I think I'll download the xliff file and send it to you. Translating Fx
for iOS on Pootle is too risky for me!

Regards,

Michael

Jeff Beatty

Apr 20, 2015, 3:22:20 PM4/20/15
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, Firefox Pootle Tech Team
Hi Michael,

I apologize for the inconvenience. I also assure you that your work is
not lost. We're working to sort out what happened with the iOS project
on Pootle. Please stay tuned while we sort things out. If you're more
comfortable with localizing the xliff file directly, I would encourage
you to get SVN access and checkout/commit the file directly from and to
your repositories.

Sincerest apologies,
Jeff

El 4/20/15 a las 1:13 PM, Michael Wolf escibió:

Jeff Beatty

Apr 21, 2015, 11:18:04 AM4/21/15
to Michael Wolf, dev-l10n, Dwayne Bailey, Stefan Arentz
Hi Michael,

Adding this to dev-l10n, since this affects more people.

Here's how the iOS project works between SVN and Pootle:

1) When there are new strings to translate for iOS, the iOS team exports
an en-US XLIFF file from Xcode (iOS dev environment), cleans it up, and
puts it in SVN. They do the same for each locale and place them SVN.
2) Dwayne pulls the en-US XLIFF file into Pootle as a template for iOS.
This allows him to update each locale with the new strings, while
maintaining the translations the community has already provided for the
project.
3) The community translates the new strings.
4) Dwayne exports the XLIFF file from each community and commits it into
the locale's SVN folder.

So, the path an XLIFF file takes looks like this:
Xcode (en-US file) -> SVN (en-US file) -> Pootle (translation of en-US
to xx-XX) -> SVN (xx-XX).

Your SVN repo, thus, maintains all of your translations.

What happened this time that broke this process is that when Apple
updated Xcode's XLIFF export utility, they added <target> elements to
each <translation-unit> in the en-US xliff file that we use as the
template in Pootle. When Pootle sees these <target> elements, it adds
them to the translation input boxes, thinking that they are the target
language. When I updated the en-US template, Pootle saw that it had
<target> elements and updated every locale's project to have the same
<target> elements that were in the template, thus overwriting all
translations with English. What we need to do is add some magic to the
pre-processing part of the en-US string updates that entirely removes
the <target> elements before the en-US XLIFF file is pulled into the iOS
project en-US template in Pootle.

Dwayne and I are working on this issue right now. Once it's resolved,
I'll make sure to send mail.

Thanks,
Jeff

El 4/21/15 a las 8:50 AM, Michael Wolf escibió:
> Jeff Beatty schrieb:
>
>> The stats were misleading. They may have shown as fully translated, but
>> I think they contained the same problems. Dwayne and I are working to
>> sort out what is really going on with the way Pootle is analyzing and
>> importing the xliff files. I'm CC-ing him here so that he's aware that
>> you're keeping a close eye on things. This has been trickier than
>> anticipated.
> Hi Jeff,
>
> I don't know how committing the xliff file from Pootle to SVN and from
> SVN to Pootle works but my impression is that SVN is not updated and as
> soon as there is a change the unupdated file - with the additional
> change - is sent to Pootle. And, because there the text in the
> translation input boxes is overwritten, these input boxes will contain
> the English text again because on SVN there are no target tags in the file.
>
>> Please remember that your work is not lost. Everything that you
>> translated prior to this update is preserved in your SVN repo. Pootle
>> will not overwrite what's in SVN without Dwayne pushing to it from
>> Pootle, which he has not done.
> Let's hope so.
>

> Michael

Stef

Apr 21, 2015, 12:09:49 PM4/21/15
to Jeff Beatty, dev-l10n, Dwayne Bailey, Michael Wolf, Stefan Arentz
> Wiadomość napisana przez Jeff Beatty <jbe...@mozilla.com> w dniu 21 kwi 2015, o godz. 17:17:

Don't know if that will help but for me

xcodebuild -exportLocalizations -exportLanguage en -localizationPath /export/folder/

creates xliff files with target-language="en" in file sections and target sections and

xcodebuild -exportLocalizations -localizationPath /export/folder/

(without exportLanguage param) does not include targets and target-languages in exported xliff.

Michael Wolf

Apr 22, 2015, 11:22:36 AM4/22/15
Hi Jeff,

can I translate now again? Unfortunately all strings I translated
Wednesday last week are untranslated again, and I don't want to
translate the same strings for nothing once more.

Regards,

Michael

Jeff Beatty

Apr 22, 2015, 11:32:18 AM4/22/15
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
We need to test one final thing today. Will let everyone know once we're
stable.

El 4/22/15 a las 9:21 AM, Michael Wolf escibió:

Michael Wolf

May 1, 2015, 6:32:21 AM5/1/15
Jeff Beatty schrieb:
> We need to test one final thing today. Will let everyone know once we're
> stable.

Hi Jeff,

I want to ask you if it is possible to translate the remaining Sorbian
strings on Pootle now. Translators of languages have already continued
translating.

Thanks and regards,

Michael

Jeff Beatty

May 1, 2015, 7:41:04 AM5/1/15
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
I would suggest waiting until we expose the new strings today, just to
be safe. I'd hate for there to be a repeat of last time.

Thanks,
Jeff

El 5/1/15 a las 4:32 AM, Michael Wolf escibió: