Social features in Firefox, Aurora uplift plan

GavinSharp

Jul 30, 2012, 3:35:11 PM7/30/12
Hello localizers,

I wanted to provide a bit of context about the development of the Social API features in Firefox, and give you a heads up about our plan to uplift that work to Aurora in the near future.

Some of you may already be aware of our Social-related work, since it's been landing on mozilla-central over the past weeks. The work is based on experiments in social by Mozilla Labs, originally described in their blog post: http://blog.mozilla.org/labs/2012/03/experimenting-with-social-features-in-firefox/ . More recently, Asa and Johnathan wrote a blog post explaining our efforts to integrate that work into Firefox itself: http://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2012/07/06/bringing-social-to-firefox/.

A high-level overview of what exactly we mean by "Social API" is available at https://wiki.mozilla.org/Labs/SocialAPI. The UI includes a toolbar button, a sidebar, and a share button, and these allow users to interact with social networking services. We will have a "Social Service" which is similar to the existing "Search Service", in that it will be possible to install and interact with different social providers in Firefox, similar to how it's currently possible to install and use multiple search providers.

We think Social is a great opportunity. We can improve the Firefox experience, and we can do it in ways that support choice and innovation by making it easy to work with multiple providers. The feature is currently disabled on Nightly, but you can activate it for testing by setting the "social.enabled" pref to true using about:config. We haven't added any actual social providers yet, so it only works with our proof of concept "MoTown" service for the moment.

Because we think this is such a great opportunity, we're going to be a bit more aggressive with our experimentation: we plan to uplift the feature (still disabled by default) to Aurora, to get it on an earlier release train and keep open the possibility of releasing it in Firefox 16. We'll still need to make sure that the feature is high quality before making the final call. We'll need everyone's help to make that happen, including the localization community. As we get further along, we'll enable the feature by default, improve or replace the built-in social provider, and re-evaluate our decision to enable the feature accordingly.

To deliver Social in Firefox 16, we'll need to land some string changes this week on Aurora when we uplift the rest of the work. These changes include approximately 15 strings, in browser.dtd and browser.properties. I've been focused on ensuring that there is a minimal amount of string churn - we'd like the one-time migration that will occur in the next few days to be the only addition or change of strings on Aurora. This feature will not alter the Firefox release schedule - if a localization is not able to localize the strings added on Aurora, we can choose to not ship the feature for that locale.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns about this plan, and I'll do my best to address them.

Thanks,
Gavin

Staś Małolepszy

Jul 30, 2012, 6:07:29 PM7/30/12
to GavinSharp, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Gavin, thanks for the update.

On Mon 30 Jul 2012 12:35:11 PM PDT, GavinSharp wrote:
> We haven't added any actual social providers yet, so it
> only works with our proof of concept "MoTown" service for the
> moment.

> We'll need everyone's help to
> make that happen, including the localization community. As we get
> further along, we'll enable the feature by default, improve or
> replace the built-in social provider, and re-evaluate our decision
> to enable the feature accordingly.

Will the actual choice of providers be part of the localization effort?

-stas

Asa Dotzler

Jul 30, 2012, 6:55:51 PM7/30/12
As we get further along, we'll definitely be interested in input from
our locale leads on locale-appropriate services.

- A

Robert Kaiser

Jul 31, 2012, 11:58:50 AM7/31/12
GavinSharp schrieb:
> To deliver Social in Firefox 16, we'll need to land some string changes this week on Aurora when we uplift the rest of the work.

As nice as the feature is, I think it's a really bad idea to break the
Aurora string freeze, esp. at this time. A lot of localizers probably
also have some holiday time and will not be able to do as much work as
usual right now, and there's already comments that the constant freeze
breakages of mobile being annoying and causing locales to potentially
miss out. B2G is also coming as an additional task during the holiday
time, which doesn't make things easier, and now you are coming forward
and breaking the almost holy desktop string freeze with feature work,
even though at the start of rapid release we were pretty much assured
that feature work will never ever happen anywhere other than Nightly.

I guess we might have some pressure from potential partners for this
feature to make a big splash in the press with this, but I don't think
we should risk our quality assurance mechanisms like the baking through
the channels and giving localizers enough time for getting things right,
esp. in times when their resources might be spread thin.

I guess we'll need to and will swallow what's being decided, but I don't
really like this idea - and we might have locales that could miss adding
those strings due to time constraints.

(I'm also not happy with it because adding features at this stage is a
stability hazard but that's yet another topic.)

Robert Kaiser

Channy Yun

Jul 31, 2012, 3:44:06 PM7/31/12
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
2012/8/1 Robert Kaiser <ka...@kairo.at>

> I guess we'll need to and will swallow what's being decided, but I don't
> really like this idea - and we might have locales that could miss adding
> those strings due to time constraints.
>
> (I'm also not happy with it because adding features at this stage is a
> stability hazard but that's yet another topic.)

If Social API is useful for users, why don't you test it by addon? Of
course, this addon can be localized by afford locale teams. If it's
successful, we can add this function in default. As you know, sudden UI
changes scare users and it's one of faults of our rapid release cycle. I
think we must have proper testing time, tools and methodology for new
features especially about user interface.

Channy
---------------------
Mozilla Korea Community, http://www.mozilla.or.kr
Technology Evangelist, Daum Developers Network & Affiliates
http://dna.daum.net

Toni Hermoso Pulido

Aug 4, 2012, 11:27:07 AM8/4/12
to GavinSharp, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Al 30/07/12 21:35, En/na GavinSharp ha escrit:
Hi,

expanding what Kairo comments below, if we have to swallow it anyway, I
would ask the strings to be added the sooner the better (at least for
the workflow of the locales I take care).

Thanks!
--
Toni Hermoso Pulido
http://www.cau.cat

Axel Hecht

Aug 6, 2012, 7:58:25 PM8/6/12
Our focus is to reduce churn on the string-frozen branches here, so
we're making sure that UX and security don't have issues with the
strings we'd like to land.

Axel

gsh...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2012, 8:14:17 PM8/9/12
Thanks for the feedback, sorry I haven't been more responsive here.

I'm definitely aware of the downsides to landing strings on Aurora, and haven't been suggesting it lightly. Having a feature go through all of the development cycles (Nightly to Release) is one way to help ensure quality, but I don't think it's our only way. When opportunities present themselves to move quickly on a new feature in order to gain an advantage in the market, it's important that we do everything we can to take advantage of them, including evaluating different strategies for landing features. I think Social is one such opportunity.

Re: testing as a addon, we've gone through that phase - as mentioned in the original post, this work is an extension of the work that was initially implemented as an add-on, as described at https://mozillalabs.com/en-US/social-api/. The work has now progressed beyond that, and we're now working on integrating this functionality directly into the product, which requires a different development approach.

All that being said, we've since re-evaluated the state of the feature, and have decided that we would benefit from a little bit more baking time. So we've abandoned plans to target Firefox 16, and are focusing on getting it right in Nightly, currently Firefox 17.

I'll keep you updated on our plans for Firefox 17 as they progress, and of course, if you have any questions, feel free to reply here, or ping me on IRC!

Gavin

huida...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2018, 2:26:21 AM1/4/18
在 2012年7月31日星期二 UTC+8上午3:35:11,Gavin Sharp写道:
We are the professional Toner Cartridge Factory for more than 10 years for Bizhub C550 Toner
Having regular Clients and good reputation
Product quality is 100% Nice
Feel free to contact us by email or telephone us
So that you can get the pleased offer and product
Email: huida...@yahoo.com
Email: huida...@gmail.com
TEL:008613713294118
IMO:+8613713294118