Firefox Focus - Marketing?

Rhoslyn Prys

Jun 21, 2017, 12:49:43 PM6/21/17
to dev-l10n
I'm a bit confused about yesterday's launch of Firefox Focus - I saw a
twitter by a third party about the launch this morning.

I've checked if I'd missed anything to prepare me for the launch and if
I'd translated something about Focus for the website but no, I can't
find anything. The only thing fairly similar that contains info on
Focus is a Mozilla website at
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/focus/ which has a different
design and layout to the ones I've seen before.

I'd like to understand why there is no marketing info and materials to
cover Focus for cy? At the moment I'm trying to put together info for
#yagym tonight and the meddal.com website which is used by regular
people who have a interest in Welsh language software. Can you help me
out on this? Thanks.

Rhos

Peiying Mo

Jun 21, 2017, 1:42:01 PM6/21/17
Hello Rhos,

Thank you for your email. Mozilla.org is going through major changes with new design and layout. New pages are created, and existing pages are more content heavy than before. The Internet Health pages are just the the first set of examples you have seen.

On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 9:49:43 AM UTC-7, Rhoslyn Prys wrote:
> I'm a bit confused about yesterday's launch of Firefox Focus - I saw a
> twitter by a third party about the launch this morning.
>
> I've checked if I'd missed anything to prepare me for the launch and if
> I'd translated something about Focus for the website but no, I can't
> find anything. The only thing fairly similar that contains info on
> Focus is a Mozilla website at
> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/focus/ which has a different
> design and layout to the ones I've seen before.
Firefox Focus is a new page. Even existing pages now have new look and updated content. The pages for the US have been pushed out, but we are still waiting for the final copy officially signed off, so we can process the files for localization. Once they are ready, all existing locales will be enabled. We will communicate it when this happens.

> I'd like to understand why there is no marketing info and materials to
> cover Focus for cy? At the moment I'm trying to put together info for
> #yagym tonight and the meddal.com website which is used by regular
> people who have a interest in Welsh language software. Can you help me
> out on this? Thanks.

Delphine is working on the product side. Maybe she can provide more insight on this.

> Rhos

Rhoslyn Prys

Jun 21, 2017, 2:40:02 PM6/21/17
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Thanks for this information. I'm hoping it's possible to pass on some
feedback to whoever needs to officially sign off the final copy - you
need to think globally.

Mozilla needs to see itself as a global entity, counting all users as
equals, wherever they live - sunny or rainy. What's wrong with launching
Focus globally and doing a comprehensive job of it, web pages and all.
That would be great.

Ar 21/06/2017 06:42, ysgrifennodd Peiying Mo:
> Hello Rhos,
>
> Thank you for your email. Mozilla.org is going through major changes with new design and layout. New pages are created, and existing pages are more content heavy than before. The Internet Health pages are just the the first set of examples you have seen.
>
> On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 9:49:43 AM UTC-7, Rhoslyn Prys wrote:
>> I'm a bit confused about yesterday's launch of Firefox Focus - I saw a
>> twitter by a third party about the launch this morning.
>>
>> I've checked if I'd missed anything to prepare me for the launch and if
>> I'd translated something about Focus for the website but no, I can't
>> find anything. The only thing fairly similar that contains info on
>> Focus is a Mozilla website at
>> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/focus/ which has a different
>> design and layout to the ones I've seen before.
> Firefox Focus is a new page. Even existing pages now have new look and updated content. The pages for the US have been pushed out, but we are still waiting for the final copy officially signed off, so we can process the files for localization. Once they are ready, all existing locales will be enabled. We will communicate it when this happen

> I'd like to understand why there is no marketing info and materials to
> cover Focus for cy? At the moment I'm trying to put together info for
> #yagym tonight and the meddal.com website which is used by regular
> people who have a interest in Welsh language software. Can you help me
> out on this? Thanks.
> Delphine is working on the product side. Maybe she can provide more insight on this.
>> Rhos

Delphine L

Jun 21, 2017, 2:41:24 PM6/21/17
to Peiying Mo, dev-l10n
Hey Rhos,

I totally agree that it's a big concern that we didn't get anything out to
localize yet in order to promote this launch - especially since it's
already past. I'm going to surface this issue with marketing and product,
and see how this can be improved going forwards.

Cocerning this last part: what kind of help do you need exactly? Maybe we
can continue this topic offline and you can let me into more specifics.

FWIW, the only material I know of and that exists on the launch is this
blog post:
https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2017/06/20/firefox-focus-new-to-android-blocks-annoying-ads-and-protects-your-privacy/

I know Peiying is working on a Marketing Toolkit in order to help locales
promote future launches & projects shipping in a new language, which may be
the kind of thing you're looking for and that could help in the future. Let
us know if there's anything on that front too that you're thinking of.

Thanks!

Rhoslyn Prys

Jun 21, 2017, 5:12:32 PM6/21/17
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org

Ar 21/06/2017 07:40, ysgrifennodd Delphine L:
> On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 10:42 AM, Peiying Mo <p...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>
> Hey Rhos,
>
> I totally agree that it's a big concern that we didn't get anything out to
> localize yet in order to promote this launch - especially since it's
> already past. I'm going to surface this issue with marketing and product,
> and see how this can be improved going forwards.
Thanks that would be great :-)
> Cocerning this last part: what kind of help do you need exactly? Maybe we
> can continue this topic offline and you can let me into more specifics.
I'm thinking of easily reproductable, translatable material on paper
that I could localise at home and print off some copies or take to the
printers- possibly A4 sized posters, A5 leaflets or info on credit card
sizes to share with people.

Where Mozilla could help most would be with the graphic design and
outline of content for this kind of stuff linked to the design and
content of the main website, which could also be used as contents for blogs.

Possibly the development of Pontoon see the Pontoon Intro:
https://pontoon.mozilla.org/ for printed material - Localizing paper
material on screen - a good challenge for the techies ;-)

> FWIW, the only material I know of and that exists on the launch is this
> blog post:
> https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2017/06/20/firefox-focus-new-to-android-blocks-annoying-ads-and-protects-your-privacy/
>
> I know Peiying is working on a Marketing Toolkit in order to help locales
> promote future launches & projects shipping in a new language, which may be
> the kind of thing you're looking for and that could help in the future. Let
> us know if there's anything on that front too that you're thinking of.
>
> Thanks!
Rhos