Question about locale code mappings for Focus (ar, pl, zh-CN, zh-TW)

Stefan Arentz

Jan 11, 2017, 3:09:57 PM1/11/17
to dev-l10n
Hi everyone,

I'm working on screenshots for Firefox Focus. I was able to import most of
the locales that are listed at:

https://l10n.mozilla-community.org/webstatus/?product=focus-ios

Most locale codes that we use map directly to what options i have on iOS.
Except these:

ar - not sure what this maps to on iOS, there are many ar-XXX variants but
not just plain 'ar'. Could it be "Arabic World: ar-001" ?

pl: iOS only has pl-PL - is that correct? I can convert the code in a
script before import.

zh-CN and zh-TW: i have a lot of options here: zh-Hans, zh-Hant, zh,
zh-Hans-CN, zh-Hans-SG zh-Hant-TW

Please give me some hints.

S.

Michal Stanke

Jan 11, 2017, 3:12:43 PM1/11/17
to Stefan Arentz, dev-l10n
Hi Stefan.

I am not Polish, but as I can tell pl-PL is right. It's the same situation
like for Czech, where you can occasionally see cs-CZ too.

--
Michal Stanke

Dne 11. 1. 2017 9:09 odpoledne napsal uživatel "Stefan Arentz" <

Francesco Lodolo

Jan 11, 2017, 3:58:07 PM1/11/17
to Stefan Arentz, dev-l10n
zh-Hans -> Simplified Chinese (zh-CN)
zh-Hant -> Traditional Chinese (zh-TW)

I don't think we need to pick the region variant, i.e. zh-Hans-CN and zh-Hant-TW
For pl, pl-PL is definitely OK.

Is a list of these locales available somewhere?

Francesco

Delphine L

Jan 11, 2017, 8:20:09 PM1/11/17
to Francesco Lodolo, dev-l10n, Stefan Arentz
Hey,

Finding out stuff like this for Apple is always a pain....

Looking around, I was able to pull up this list of iOS locale identifiers
(don't know how up to date this is...):
https://gist.github.com/jasef/337431c43c3addb2cbd5eb215b376179

Stefan: I would say ar_001 would be a good choice.

cheers
delphine
--
Delphine

Stefan Arentz

Jan 11, 2017, 8:52:33 PM1/11/17
to Francesco Lodolo, dev-l10n
Here is the list of Locale Identifiers for 10.2:

https://gist.github.com/st3fan/18f95c9c51de4e8df0302aac8eaa58ae

S.

Tim Chien (MozTW)

Jan 12, 2017, 12:58:57 AM1/12/17
to Francesco Lodolo, dev-l10n, Stefan Arentz
Hi Stefan,

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 4:57 AM, Francesco Lodolo <fl...@lodolo.net> wrote:

> zh-Hans -> Simplified Chinese (zh-CN)
> zh-Hant -> Traditional Chinese (zh-TW)
>
> I don't think we need to pick the region variant, i.e. zh-Hans-CN and
> zh-Hant-TW
> For pl, pl-PL is definitely OK.

This is correct. We don't need region variant unless

- We want to offer different settings (e.g. default search engine or search
URL query string) on different locales
- We want to offer different, regional-tailored UI wordings on different
locales

I don't yet see a need for either of those but Marketing or localizers
might think otherwise.

Tim

Khaled Hosny

Jan 12, 2017, 1:27:29 AM1/12/17
to Stefan Arentz, dev-l10n
On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 03:09:07PM -0500, Stefan Arentz wrote:
> ar - not sure what this maps to on iOS, there are many ar-XXX variants but
> not just plain 'ar'. Could it be "Arabic World: ar-001" ?

The Arabic localization should be suitable for all Arabic locales,
though I have no idea what this maps to on iOS.

Regards,
Khaled

Stefan Plewako

Jan 12, 2017, 6:47:12 AM1/12/17
to dev-l10n
> Wiadomość napisana przez Stefan Arentz <sar...@mozilla.com> w dniu 11.01.2017, o godz. 21:09:
>
> pl: iOS only has pl-PL - is that correct? I can convert the code in a
> script before import.

pl-PL/pl_PL is correct but short from (pl) should be used in general.
How is Focus situation different from Firefox on iOS? I think it would be good not to touch translation files too much if possible.