Firefox iOS v8: Latest news concerning schedule

Delphine L

Jun 14, 2017, 6:34:54 PM6/14/17
to dev-l10n
Hello localizers,

As promised, here's some more details about the upcoming release schedule
for Firefox iOS v8 [1].

* Feature Complete/String freeze: by June 16th
* l10n cut-off day: July 12th
* Note that final testing and fixes should be completed by July 11th since
on the 12th we are handing in the locales and it will be too late to make
any corrections at that point.

There should be a string export within the next couple days. As usual, I'll
let you know here.

*Testing*
Screenshots will be provided for testing here:
https://people-mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/

A plan is being worked out by the end of the week for a regular screenshot
schedule - stay tuned!

If you have an iOS device (v8+) and would like to be added to localized
Buddybuilds to test your work, please contact me directly.

*Sign-offs: changes*
(I've already announced this in recent communication, but since it's rather
new I want to call it out again here)

>From now on, for mobile app projects (so all except Firefox for Android),
we will be shipping all locales that:
- are at 100% complete translation with no remaining errors on the web
dashboard at l10n deadline,
https://l10n.mozilla-community.org/webstatus/?product=focus-android

- have no visible l10n errors upon review of the locale's screenshots
(e.g., significant truncation, text overflow, encoding, etc.) besides what
may have already been reported to the mobile team to correct.

We've realized the past process (ie. communities explicitly signing-off
within a bug for each locale) does not scale. We've also missed the
opportunity to ship locales that were good and ready to go because
localizers did not sign-off on time on their bug. With time, we've noticed
it is safe to ship completed locales, as localizers are generally diligent
in checking that their work looks good on screenshots, and otherwise filing
bugs to fix issues.

*Finding issues*

If you find any issues please file bugs, and CC :delphine to them (there's
no tracking bug at the moment). For localization issues please correct
directly in the translation tool you're working off of and check against
updated screenshots/builds.

As always, if you have any questions or comments, please let us know.

Thanks!

[1] https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox_for_iOS_Train_Schedule
--
Delphine

அருண் குமார் (Arun Kumar)

Jun 14, 2017, 9:59:28 PM6/14/17
to Delphine L, dev-l10n
Hi Delphine

As promised, here's some more details about the upcoming release schedule
> for Firefox iOS v8 [1].
>
> * Feature Complete/String freeze: by June 16th
> * l10n cut-off day: July 12th
> * Note that final testing and fixes should be completed by July 11th since
> on the 12th we are handing in the locales and it will be too late to make
> any corrections at that point.

Thanks for the update. So far the translation for Firefox iOS in Tamil is
100%. but we are unable to review it.

> *Testing*
> Screenshots will be provided for testing here:
> https://people-mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/
>
> A plan is being worked out by the end of the week for a regular screenshot
> schedule - stay tuned!

Screen shot, still not available in Tamil. May I know, when will it be
ready ?

> If you have an iOS device (v8+) and would like to be added to localized
> Buddybuilds to test your work, please contact me directly.

I had iPad2 with iOS v9.3.5 but my language "Tamil" is not supported in UI
(only supports for Calendar/Keyboard).

Tamil is supported from iOS v10.x onwards (5S onwards or Air). I'm unable
to test the Fennec UI in Tamil. Kindly guide us review our translations,
before it goes to release. otherwise our community effort is useless.

Thanks & Regards
Arun

ஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃ
அன்புடன்
அருண்
நுட்பம் நம்மொழியில் தழைக்கச் செய்வோம்
http://thangamaniarun.wordpress.com
ஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃ

Delphine L

Jun 15, 2017, 11:13:11 AM6/15/17
to அருண் குமார் (Arun Kumar), dev-l10n
On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 6:58 PM, அருண் குமார் (Arun Kumar) <
thanga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Delphine
>
> As promised, here's some more details about the upcoming release schedule
>> for Firefox iOS v8 [1].
>>
>> * Feature Complete/String freeze: by June 16th
>> * l10n cut-off day: July 12th
>> * Note that final testing and fixes should be completed by July 11th since
>> on the 12th we are handing in the locales and it will be too late to make
>> any corrections at that point.
>>

> Thanks for the update. So far the translation for Firefox iOS in Tamil is
> 100%. but we are unable to review it.

Hi Arun

Yes there is going to be another another string export this week and Tamil
will be included in the next batch of screenshots for testing.

>> *Testing*
>> Screenshots will be provided for testing here:
>> https://people-mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/
>>
>> A plan is being worked out by the end of the week for a regular screenshot
>> schedule - stay tuned!
>>

> Screen shot, still not available in Tamil. May I know, when will it be
> ready ?

As mentioned, working on a plan with Stefan this week for this. It'll be
included in the next round.

I suspect this may be because Tamil was not completed last time screenshots
were generated (we haven't had any for a while now). You should be good
next time screenshots are up.

>> If you have an iOS device (v8+) and would like to be added to localized
>> Buddybuilds to test your work, please contact me directly.
>>

> I had iPad2 with iOS v9.3.5 but my language "Tamil" is not supported in UI
> (only supports for Calendar/Keyboard).
>
> Tamil is supported from iOS v10.x onwards (5S onwards or Air). I'm unable
> to test the Fennec UI in Tamil. Kindly guide us review our translations,
> before it goes to release. otherwise our community effort is useless.

I think we've already discussed this, but just in case: Tamil appears under
"other languages" in iOS settings. Once we'll have screenshots up for
Tamil, you'll be able to test your work there.

It's already available on test builds too, see:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxy4uHU4K2mBV1Bld0dYYW5KTWpRZHVwem1zTVlLcHBpSUNv/view?usp=sharing

Hope this helps.

You'll have until July 11th to test your work, and more strings are
arriving this week. So this should leave ample time for localizing and
testing, I hope.

Thanks
Delphine

> Thanks & Regards
> Arun
>
> ஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃ
> அன்புடன்
> அருண்
> நுட்பம் நம்மொழியில் தழைக்கச் செய்வோம்
> http://thangamaniarun.wordpress.com
> ஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃஃ

--
Delphine

அருண் குமார் (Arun Kumar)

Jun 15, 2017, 11:16:51 AM6/15/17
to delphine, dev-l10n
Thanks for your support. I hope your screenshot help me to review Tamil
localization.

15 ஜூ, 2017 11:12 PM அன்று, "Delphine L" <lebedel....@gmail.com>
எழுதியது:

Delphine L

Jun 22, 2017, 6:54:01 PM6/22/17
to dev-l10n
Hi localizers!

While trying to expose strings for Firefox for iOS, we ran into an
issue since we still don't support correctly plural forms - so
unfortunately this couldn’t happen until a solution was agreed upon
(in this case, it's a work-around by updating the strings. Hopefully
the real issue here should be fixed going forwards). Sorry for the
delay.

A total of 24 new strings are now exposed, and as usual you can find
them on Pontoon[1] and Pootle[2] (should be available shortly, at the
next tick of the hour) .

Let me know if you have any questions! And happy localizing :)

Thanks

[1] https://pontoon.mozilla.org/projects/firefox-for-ios/
[2] https://mozilla.locamotion.org/projects/ios/

--
Delphine

Delphine L

Jun 22, 2017, 7:20:45 PM6/22/17
to dev-l10n
Seems like there is an issue with this project on Pootle now... stay tuned.
--
Delphine

Delphine L

Jun 23, 2017, 11:42:11 AM6/23/17
to dev-l10n
It should be working now: https://mozilla.locamotion.org/projects/ios/
--
Delphine

Stefan Arentz

Jul 3, 2017, 8:19:20 PM7/3/17
to அருண் குமார் (Arun Kumar), dev-l10n, delphine
Here you go:

https://people-mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/ta/screenshots.html

S.

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 11:16 AM, அருண் குமார் (Arun Kumar) <
thanga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your support. I hope your screenshot help me to review Tamil
> localization.
>

> 15 ஜூ, 2017 11:12 PM அன்று, "Delphine L" <lebedel....@gmail.com>
> எழுதியது:
>

> On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 6:58 PM, அருண் குமார் (Arun Kumar) <
> thanga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Delphine
> >
> > As promised, here's some more details about the upcoming release schedule
> >> for Firefox iOS v8 [1].
> >>
> >> * Feature Complete/String freeze: by June 16th
> >> * l10n cut-off day: July 12th
> >> * Note that final testing and fixes should be completed by July 11th
> since
> >> on the 12th we are handing in the locales and it will be too late to
> make
> >> any corrections at that point.
> >>

> > Thanks for the update. So far the translation for Firefox iOS in Tamil is
> > 100%. but we are unable to review it.
> >

> Hi Arun
>
> Yes there is going to be another another string export this week and Tamil
> will be included in the next batch of screenshots for testing.
>

> >> *Testing*
> >> Screenshots will be provided for testing here:
> >> https://people-mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/
> >>
> >> A plan is being worked out by the end of the week for a regular
> screenshot
> >> schedule - stay tuned!
> >>

> > Screen shot, still not available in Tamil. May I know, when will it be
> > ready ?
> >

> As mentioned, working on a plan with Stefan this week for this. It'll be
> included in the next round.
>
> I suspect this may be because Tamil was not completed last time screenshots
> were generated (we haven't had any for a while now). You should be good
> next time screenshots are up.
>

> >> If you have an iOS device (v8+) and would like to be added to localized
> >> Buddybuilds to test your work, please contact me directly.

அருண் குமார் (Arun Kumar)

Jul 4, 2017, 12:22:23 AM7/4/17
to Stefan Arentz, dev-l10n, delphine, &#2990, &#3018, &#2970, &#3007, &#2994, &#3021, &#2994, &#3006, &#2980, &#2990, &#3007, &#2996, &#3021,
Thank you very much, We are able to review and its really useful.