DevTools as "standalone" product

Michal Stanke

Jan 30, 2016, 4:01:08 AM1/30/16
to dev-l10n
Hi l10n nation.

Sorry for writing during the weekend, but it's about a month since I
started to think, it might be nice to have DevTools as standalone
product from the l10n point of view (dashboard and Pontoon and other
l10n tools).

The reason, why I am suggesting this, is the difference between browser
and DevTools end users. And as I am not a web developer and use DevTools
very sporadically, it's hard to be sure, they are localized as deserve.
Making them a new l10n product would open me the doors to start looking
for actual web developers interested to contribute localization to the
tools they use every day.

Cheers,
--
Michal Stanke

P.S. Are there any numbers, how many developers do use DevTools in
localized builds? The next step might me be enabling them to choose the
language for DevTools independently on Firefox itself.

Michael Bauer

Jan 30, 2016, 7:06:36 AM1/30/16
to Michal Stanke, dev-l10n
I think this has long been a dream of many of us, including Axel I
believe but I believe I was told it was hard-to-difficult to achieve.
But I'd certainly welcome it.

Michael

Sgrìobh Michal Stanke na leanas 30/01/2016 aig 09:00:

Philipp Kewisch

Jan 30, 2016, 7:37:17 AM1/30/16
Now that devtools has moved into its own directory, maybe the dream is
not too far off anymore? I guess earlier the problem is that devtools
strings are mixed with browser strings.

Philipp

Axel Hecht

Jan 30, 2016, 4:47:04 PM1/30/16
There are various aspects of this dream.

I'm not that much closer to have this by the move of devtools.

That said, I have been playing around different stats for l10n this
week, and devtools was one of the buckets.

Casting a wider net, SeaMonkey has this problem since its inception, and
we haven't made good progress on this. I had some constructive
conversations with jezdez a while back on making at least
compare-locales/elmo more modular, but that didn't move into a concrete
design to implement.

Long way of saying that I wish we could have this, but I don't have a
crisp set of technical steps to get there.

Axel

Michal Stanke

Feb 21, 2016, 9:12:24 AM2/21/16
to Axel Hecht, dev-l10n
Sorry for my late response. Does that mean there are technical blockers on
the dashboard side, or worse somewhere in Firefox/SeaMonkey? I can easy
imagine to have devtools on the dashboard the same way as calendar without
its own sign-offs and dependent on the "master" product (Firefox in this
case).

--
Michal Stanke

Axel Hecht

Feb 21, 2016, 1:59:10 PM2/21/16
On 21/02/16 11:11, Michal Stanke wrote:
> Sorry for my late response. Does that mean there are technical blockers on
> the dashboard side, or worse somewhere in Firefox/SeaMonkey? I can easy
> imagine to have devtools on the dashboard the same way as calendar without
> its own sign-offs and dependent on the "master" product (Firefox in this
> case).

Yes, this is gonna include changes to Firefox, compare-locales, and the
dashboard.

The way lightning is handled is sadly rather broken, and not a good
example to follow. I wouldn't want Firefox to go through that, tbh.

To be honest, I don't like Thunderbird/Lightning going through it, but
that choice was made and then folks looked at the dashboard, and I don't
have enough cycles to fix it.

Axel

Michal Stanke

Feb 21, 2016, 2:56:03 PM2/21/16
to Axel Hecht, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
The truth is, I am looking for a bug to fix, as a semester project for
one of my subjects. I am not experienced in Python, but if you think
this is feasible to fix as my first bug in about 10 weeks, I am in.
Michal Stanke

Axel Hecht

Feb 25, 2016, 7:48:14 AM2/25/16
On 21/02/16 20:55, Michal Stanke wrote:
> The truth is, I am looking for a bug to fix, as a semester project for
> one of my subjects. I am not experienced in Python, but if you think
> this is feasible to fix as my first bug in about 10 weeks, I am in.

I think this is a suite of bugs, after some systems design. Really
depends on what the expected scope of a semester project is at your school.

We can follow-up off the list, too. I'm happy to look around our
tools/infrastructure for a good bug, if you can detail on the expectations.

Axel

Mícheál J. Ó Meachair

Feb 25, 2016, 8:22:32 AM2/25/16
to Axel Hecht, Mozilla l10n Mailing List
This is a very interesting conversation. If you go off-list, will you
include me please?

Míle buíochas,
Mícheál

Michal Stanke

Jul 31, 2016, 3:30:56 AM7/31/16
to Axel Hecht, dev-l10n
Hi Axel.

After dropping sign-offs for the whole Firefox family, what blockers are
left to solve before we can move DevTools from FF to standalone?

Cheers,
--
Michal

Axel Hecht

Jul 31, 2016, 10:23:01 AM7/31/16
On 31/07/16 09:30, Michal Stanke wrote:
> Hi Axel.
>
> After dropping sign-offs for the whole Firefox family, what blockers are
> left to solve before we can move DevTools from FF to standalone?

DevTools as a module hasn't made any technical progress so far.

Clarification: We've changed the process around doing sign-offs, and
they're now a process that's done by and within the l10n-drivers team.
We haven't dropped them.

Axel