New Pootle: downloaded zip does not cointain strings that I just translated

Jordi Serratosa

Jun 28, 2015, 7:50:54 AM6/28/15
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, dwa...@translate.org.za
Hi all [Dwayne cc'ed for relevance],

Catalan l10nator here.
- I translate some strings in the new Pootle. For example:
<http://mozilla.locamotion.org/ca/firefox/translate/dom/chrome/security/csp.properties.po#unit=17804576>
- I download a ZIP containing all the files for project Firefox 40
(Aurora) by selecting "Download for offline translation" in
http://mozilla.locamotion.org/ca/firefox/
- In the zip, the still string appears as untranslated

Is this happening in all locales?

If it takes some time for Pootle to "pick up" the translations, then the
download zip feature is quite useless and it can even be dangerous.

salut,
jordi s

Jordi Serratosa

Jun 30, 2015, 6:43:35 AM6/30/15
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, dwa...@translate.org.za
As a follow-up, after 2 days, the downloaded zip does *not* yet contain
the strings I translated.
The strings appear as translated in the Pootle UI, but not in the
downloaded files.
This worries me because:
- I do not know whether the newly-translated strings got to the build
(if merging is based on contents of the ZIP files, they did not get
merged because the newly-tranlated strings are not in the ZIPs).
- I do no know whether all these translated strings will be lost in next
update of the source files. We are talking about ~1500 words.

This problem affects all Mozilla projects in locamotion, not only Aurora.

Is this a known problem? Are no other locales affected?

salut,
jordi s

Julen Ruiz Aizpuru

Jul 1, 2015, 5:43:22 AM7/1/15
to Jordi Serratosa, dev-l10n, Dwayne Bailey
Hi Jordi,
I believe you're hitting https://github.com/translate/pootle/issues/3746

Let's hear from Dwayne to confirm — I'd expect a fix to be on the way soon.

Julen.

Jordi Serratosa

Jul 1, 2015, 8:31:49 AM7/1/15
to Julen Ruiz Aizpuru, dev-l10n, Dwayne Bailey
Thanks Julen. I added a comment to the issue. Hope it gets fixed soon.
We're running some quality checks offline, so this issue is impacting QA
for our locale.
Also, I'm feeding the updated .po files to Xbench (which I use
professionally), for reference and QA checks. Pootle is "weak" at
calculating fuzzies and searching on the fly.

salut
jordi s

Michael Wolf

Jul 5, 2015, 3:14:33 PM7/5/15
Jordi Serratosa schrieb:
> Hi all [Dwayne cc'ed for relevance],
>
> Catalan l10nator here.
> - I translate some strings in the new Pootle. For example:
> <http://mozilla.locamotion.org/ca/firefox/translate/dom/chrome/security/csp.properties.po#unit=17804576>

Hi Jordi,

I've just downloaded the Catalan pack from Pootle and it contains the
translation of that string above.

Michael

Michael Wolf

Jul 5, 2015, 3:14:33 PM7/5/15
Jordi Serratosa schrieb:
> Hi all [Dwayne cc'ed for relevance],
>
> Catalan l10nator here.
> - I translate some strings in the new Pootle. For example:
> <http://mozilla.locamotion.org/ca/firefox/translate/dom/chrome/security/csp.properties.po#unit=17804576>

Jordi Serratosa

Jul 5, 2015, 3:53:56 PM7/5/15
to Michael Wolf, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Yes, that is because there was a global update of files after merge-day
last Monday, so that example is no longer valid.
But the problem still remains.

If you want to check, try to find this string in the downloaded files:
<http://mozilla.locamotion.org/ca/firefox/translate/toolkit/chrome/global/devtools/gclicommands.properties.po#unit=18171405>
I reviewed that 2 hours ago (initially, it was a fuzzy)

salut
jordi s

Dwayne Bailey

Jul 5, 2015, 4:01:12 PM7/5/15
to Jordi Serratosa, dev-l10n, Michael Wolf
On 5 July 2015 at 20:53, Jordi Serratosa <jordis...@gmail.com> wrote:

> El 05/07/2015 a les 21:13, Michael Wolf ha escrit:
>
> Yes, that is because there was a global update of files after merge-day
> last Monday, so that example is no longer valid.
> But the problem still remains.
>
> If you want to check, try to find this string in the downloaded files:
> <
> http://mozilla.locamotion.org/ca/firefox/translate/toolkit/chrome/global/devtools/gclicommands.properties.po#unit=18171405
> >
> I reviewed that 2 hours ago (initially, it was a fuzzy)

We've spent the weekend on a Pootle hackfest in Paris. I think we've got a
solution to address the issue and we'll be testing it before deploying.

I'm forwarding this thread to the Pootle dev leading this fix and he may
have some questions for you to check if the solution is correct.

--
Dwayne

*Translate*
+27 12 460 1095 (work)