general.useragent.locale on Fedora

Skip to the first unread message

Michal Stanke

20 Sept 2017, 8:53:55 am20/09/2017
to dev-l10n, Tomáš Zelina
Hi.

Tomáš has noticed here
<https://github.com/MikkCZ/pontoon-tools/issues/37#issuecomment-330837424>
that Fedora builds use "nonstandard" locale codes for
general.useragent.locale (cs-CZ) for Czech. Is it something expected, or
should we report it as a bug to bugzilla.redhat.com?
--
Michal Stanke

Axel Hecht

20 Sept 2017, 10:07:00 am20/09/2017
to Michal Stanke, Tomáš Zelina
Am 20.09.17 um 14:53 schrieb Michal Stanke:
I think that's coming from matchOS being on on linux distros, and
bleeding their upstream locale codes into gecko.

I wonder if navigator.language is the safer API to use to guess the
users localization.

Axel

Eduardo Trápani

20 Sept 2017, 1:01:39 pm20/09/2017
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
> I think that's coming from matchOS being on on linux distros, and
> bleeding their upstream locale codes into gecko.

Who sets that default (matchOS on), some Linux distros or Firefox on
those distros?

I'd like to have it off, because it's a pain to activate a language pack
otherwise (that doesn't match the OS). You have to change
general.useragent.locale *and* intl.locale.matchOS.

Or maybe it's time to have our own basic "locale switcher" (like this[1]
one) in the browser. I think it is a basic functionality that should
handled natively.

[1]
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/simple-locale-switcher/?src=ss

Michal Stanke

22 Sept 2017, 2:44:56 am22/09/2017
to dev-l10n, Francesco Lodolo [:flod]
It turned our it was an upstream issue with this string
<https://transvision.mozfr.org/string/?entity=toolkit/chrome/global/intl.properties:general.useragent.locale&repo=central>.
I have fixed it for Czech to match the our locale code, but I see some
codes differ elsewhere. Shouldn't be this string always the same as the
locale code used by Mozilla (in Pontoon, repository name etc.)?