hg.mozilla.org - central repository usage

Michal Stanke

Sep 17, 2015, 11:08:42 AM9/17/15
to dev-l10n
Hi localizers.

Yesterday I was wondering about l10n-central repositories purpose. Every
commit I push to mozilla-aurora I export/import to l10n-central too, so
there is no difference between those repos for Czech. Is there any
special use case for having both of them or any teams translating in
central already?

Cheers,
--
Michal Stanke

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]

Sep 17, 2015, 11:59:31 AM9/17/15
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Il 17/09/15 17:08, Michal Stanke ha scritto:
Hi Michal,
Only a very small number of locales translate strings on l10n-central
(I'd say 7/8 these days).

The purpose of the l10n-central repository is to localize strings that
land on mozilla-central, and have a localized Nightly Build of Firefox.
In l10n-central strings keep landing almost daily, sometimes quality is
not great and they need to be fixed or backed out, so it's harder than
localizing mozilla-aurora. But these teams help us a great deal, since
we need to spot errors before they reach a larger audience of localizers.

Also, localizers working on l10n-central are responsible of uplifting
their work to mozilla-aurora at the end of the cycle, hopefully with merges
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Uplifting_a_Localization_from_central_to_aurora

Most locales work on mozilla-aurora and ignore l10n-central: they have
new strings every 6 weeks, and can focus their effort. Also, bad strings
have been filtered out before being exposed to them. Tools like Pootle
and Pontoon work against mozilla-aurora, which maps to Firefox Developer
Edition builds (I think some locales in Pontoon might be testing
l10n-central too).

If you're actually working on mozilla-aurora strings, you shouldn't be
porting manually your updates to l10n-central, we should merge the
repositories and I can teach you how to update l10n-central by pulling
updates from mozilla-aurora into it.

Hope that clarifies things a bit, feel free to ask more or ping me in
IRC if something is unclear.

Francesco

Pascal Chevrel

Sep 17, 2015, 12:05:43 PM9/17/15
Le 17/09/2015 17:58, Francesco Lodolo [:flod] a écrit :
> Il 17/09/15 17:08, Michal Stanke ha scritto:
>> Hi localizers.
>>
>> Yesterday I was wondering about l10n-central repositories purpose.
>> Every commit I push to mozilla-aurora I export/import to l10n-central
>> too, so there is no difference between those repos for Czech. Is there
>> any special use case for having both of them or any teams translating
>> in central already?
> Hi Michal,
> Only a very small number of locales translate strings on l10n-central
> (I'd say 7/8 these days).
>
> The purpose of the l10n-central repository is to localize strings that
> land on mozilla-central, and have a localized Nightly Build of Firefox.
> In l10n-central strings keep landing almost daily, sometimes quality is
> not great and they need to be fixed or backed out, so it's harder than
> localizing mozilla-aurora. But these teams help us a great deal, since
> we need to spot errors before they reach a larger audience of localizers.

Also of course, people that localize Firefox Nightly get the strings
long before they reach Aurora, several weeks extra time is a good reason
to work on l10n-central rather than Aurora if you commit directly to
mercurial and don't use an online tool like Locamotion or Pontoon.

Pascal

Michal Stanke

Sep 17, 2015, 1:18:17 PM9/17/15
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Thank you Francesco.

I work in mozilla-aurora and than apply the same patches using
TortoiseHG to l10n-central immediately, so the commit history should be
the same. But if the best practice is to not care about l10n-central at
all, I will stop with that for the next cycle. How often will than
aurora merge to central?

Cheers,
Michal Stanke

Dne 17.9.2015 v 17:58 Francesco Lodolo [:flod] napsal(a):
> Il 17/09/15 17:08, Michal Stanke ha scritto:
>> Hi localizers.
>>
>> Yesterday I was wondering about l10n-central repositories purpose.
>> Every commit I push to mozilla-aurora I export/import to l10n-central
>> too, so there is no difference between those repos for Czech. Is
>> there any special use case for having both of them or any teams
>> translating in central already?
> Hi Michal,
> Only a very small number of locales translate strings on l10n-central
> (I'd say 7/8 these days).
>
> The purpose of the l10n-central repository is to localize strings that
> land on mozilla-central, and have a localized Nightly Build of Firefox.
> In l10n-central strings keep landing almost daily, sometimes quality
> is not great and they need to be fixed or backed out, so it's harder
> than localizing mozilla-aurora. But these teams help us a great deal,
> since we need to spot errors before they reach a larger audience of
> localizers.
>
> Also, localizers working on l10n-central are responsible of uplifting
> their work to mozilla-aurora at the end of the cycle, hopefully with
> merges
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Uplifting_a_Localization_from_central_to_aurora
>

> Most locales work on mozilla-aurora and ignore l10n-central: they have
> new strings every 6 weeks, and can focus their effort. Also, bad
> strings have been filtered out before being exposed to them. Tools
> like Pootle and Pontoon work against mozilla-aurora, which maps to
> Firefox Developer Edition builds (I think some locales in Pontoon
> might be testing l10n-central too).
>
> If you're actually working on mozilla-aurora strings, you shouldn't be
> porting manually your updates to l10n-central, we should merge the
> repositories and I can teach you how to update l10n-central by pulling
> updates from mozilla-aurora into it.
>
> Hope that clarifies things a bit, feel free to ask more or ping me in
> IRC if something is unclear.
>
> Francesco

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]

Sep 17, 2015, 1:37:37 PM9/17/15
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Il 17/09/15 19:18, Michal Stanke ha scritto:
> Thank you Francesco.
>
> I work in mozilla-aurora and than apply the same patches using
> TortoiseHG to l10n-central immediately, so the commit history should
> be the same. But if the best practice is to not care about
> l10n-central at all, I will stop with that for the next cycle. How
> often will than aurora merge to central?
If you actually plan to work on mozilla-aurora, then it's definitely
better to merge them than porting commits manually, and update
l10n-central periodically (history will be the same).

Feel free to ping me or file a bug and assign it to me to discuss how to
do that.

Francesco

Axel Hecht

Sep 18, 2015, 4:03:56 AM9/18/15
On 9/17/15 7:18 PM, Michal Stanke wrote:
> Thank you Francesco.
>
> I work in mozilla-aurora and than apply the same patches using
> TortoiseHG to l10n-central immediately, so the commit history should be
> the same. But if the best practice is to not care about l10n-central at
> all, I will stop with that for the next cycle. How often will than
> aurora merge to central?

You could also create an alias that pushes to both if you push.

Axel