Re: Firefox and Qwant

Emin Mastizada

Jul 22, 2016, 4:38:50 PM7/22/16
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Tried to search text from most voted stackoverflow:django questions
"What's the largest site that's built on Django today?" but results are
not relevant at all. DuckDuckGo Hack even gave a better result :D

If it is open source with free license and it will be added to Firefox
(non-english versions) then we should start localizing it. We in [az]
locale already localized DuckDuckGo's main pages (home, search and etc
that usual users see) but Its not optimized for localization (if your
language's structure is not same as English its very hard to localize it).

On 22.07.2016 23:17, Michal Stanke wrote:
> Hi l10ns (not l20ns yet ;) ),
>
> I have read something about Qwant <https://www.qwant.com/> search
> engine coming to Firefox in the next releases. Is that true? And if
> so, will this apply to all markets, or could we exclude it from our
> locales? Personally, I use DuckDuckGo as my primary search engine. The
> results for Czech websites are not the best, but Qwant? The results
> are as relevant as Bing results used to be, when I gave it a try two
> years ago. :/
>
> Cheers,

Emin Mastizada
Mozilla Representative @ Mozilla Corparation
Computer Engineering @ Istanbul Technical University
Python Ninja @ pyninjas
https://www.mastizada.com

Michael Wolf

Jul 22, 2016, 5:08:31 PM7/22/16
Michal Stanke schrieb:
> Hi l10ns (not l20ns yet ;) ),
>
> I have read something about Qwant <https://www.qwant.com/> search engine
> coming to Firefox in the next releases. Is that true? And if so, will
> this apply to all markets, or could we exclude it from our locales?
> Personally, I use DuckDuckGo as my primary search engine. The results
> for Czech websites are not the best, but Qwant? The results are as
> relevant as Bing results used to be, when I gave it a try two years ago. :/

According to the blog of Sören Hentzschel (in German)

https://www.soeren-hentzschel.at/firefox/firefox-fuer-android-ios-erhalten-qwant-als-suchmaschine/

Qwant will be included in Firefox for Android 48 and Firefox for iOS 5.0.

Beside Qwant.com offers a special Firefox for Desktop version with Qwant.

There is an extension on AMO you can try:

https://addons.mozilla.org/cs/firefox/addon/qwantcom-for-firefox/

Michael

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]

Jul 23, 2016, 3:05:02 AM7/23/16
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Il 22/07/16 22.17, Michal Stanke ha scritto:
> Hi l10ns (not l20ns yet ;) ),
>
> I have read something about Qwant <https://www.qwant.com/> search
> engine coming to Firefox in the next releases. Is that true? And if
> so, will this apply to all markets, or could we exclude it from our
> locales? Personally, I use DuckDuckGo as my primary search engine. The
> results for Czech websites are not the best, but Qwant? The results
> are as relevant as Bing results used to be, when I gave it a try two
> years ago. :/
Hi Michael,
Do you have any link for me?

To answer your question, Qwant is going to ship on mobile only for
French, German and British English.

Francesco

Michael Wolf

Jul 23, 2016, 5:15:14 AM7/23/16
Francesco Lodolo [:flod] schrieb:
> Il 22/07/16 22.17, Michal Stanke ha scritto:
>>
> Hi Michael,
> Do you have any link for me?
>
> To answer your question, Qwant is going to ship on mobile only for
> French, German and British English.

Hi Francesco,

I'm sure you mean Michal and Michael; Michael it's me, for instance. :-)

Micha*e*l

Michael Wolf

Jul 23, 2016, 5:16:43 AM7/23/16
Francesco Lodolo [:flod] schrieb:
> Il 22/07/16 22.17, Michal Stanke ha scritto:
> Hi Michael,

Hi Francesco,

I'm sure you mean Michal and not Michael; Michael it's me, for instance.

Micha*e*l

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]

Jul 23, 2016, 5:23:32 AM7/23/16
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Il 23/07/16 11.15, Michael Wolf ha scritto:
> Hi Francesco,
> I'm sure you mean Michal and Michael; Michael it's me, for instance. :-)
Yep, I meant Michal. We definitely have too many Michael and Michal
around, I should start using nicknames instead :-)

Francesco