Exposing Pontoon Data Through API

Matjaz Horvat

Oct 10, 2017, 2:38:26 PM10/10/17
to dev-l10n
Hey,

The first iteration of Pontoon API landed!

Check out the blog post for more details and a few examples:
https://blog.mozilla.org/l10n/2017/10/10/exposing-pontoon-data-through-api/

Big shout-out to Staś Małolepszy for making this happen!

To quote Staś himself:

"We’d like to keep the development of the API use-case-driven. If
you’re interested in creating a report, mobile app or an extension
which pulls data from Pontoon, please let us know about your use-case.
We’d like to prioritize the upcoming features to best serve the needs
of the community."

For more information about the planning process, consult the wiki:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:Pontoon/API

Cheers,
Matjaž

Michal Stanke

Oct 11, 2017, 10:13:24 AM10/11/17
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Oh, that's cool. I will need to learn a bit more about the API, but it
looks very promising so far.

Michal Stanke

Staś Małolepszy

Oct 11, 2017, 12:09:05 PM10/11/17
to Michal Stanke, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Michal, you might be interested in
https://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:Pontoon/API#Milestone_4 :) It's still
far out in the future (I'd estimate Q1 2018). I'd love to get your
early feedback on what data would be helpful to Pontoon Tools.

Michal Stanke

Oct 13, 2017, 6:33:04 AM10/13/17
to Staś Małolepszy, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Stas.

Thank you for the first version of the API. I am still looking at how I
can incorporate it into the add-on the best way now.

As for the notifications, to maximize the user benefit from using the
API, the query result should be a bit richer than what is not displayed
in the UI. I can imagine getting and object, that would look like:
{id, timestamp, type, actor, project, verb, newStrings, messageHTML,
deadline}

In this scheme, the fileds /id/, /timestamp/ and /type/ would be a
mandatory skeleton, other may vary depending on the actual notification
/type/. By /type/ I mean an easy way to distinguish between
notifications for new strings, messages from admins, deadlines or other
notifications. Every time can than only contain the fields that are
appropriate - project and number of strings for new strings
notification, sender and project and message for messages, project and
date for deadlines, etc. A bonus would be an API (or some new RESTlike
endpoint) to mark notifications as read one by one using their ID.

Michal