On cross-channel and Fx 57

Julen Ruiz Aizpuru

Dec 12, 2017, 8:35:01 AM12/12/17
to dev-l10n
Hi list,

I've got a report from a user mentioning that some strings in Firefox 57
(eu) are displayed in English. Strange, I thought, as the localization was
100% complete before the last merge day before 57 [1].

Since cross-channel was already in effect in October [2], and its
advertised feature was doing a fix once and not worrying about the rest of
the channels (at least when working on Pontoon), I took for granted the
latest changes I did in November right before the pre-57 merge day would be
taken into account.

I stopped caring about sign-offs long time ago, and out of curiosity now I
checked what was the changeset used for our Firefox 57 [3], and it turns
out it was quite an "old" change with respect to the fixes that happened
later.

So I'd like to clarify if my understanding of how strings should flow is
correct or not. Was there some issue specific to this particular release
perhaps? If that was the case, is there any solution that doesn't involve
waiting for 58?

Regards,
Julen.

[1] https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar#Past_branch_dates
[2] http://markmail.org/thread/oi7nowlqsyic52qv
[3] https://l10n.mozilla.org/shipping/signoffs/eu/fx57#1010ee63a76a

Michal Stanke

Dec 12, 2017, 9:01:05 AM12/12/17
to Julen Ruiz Aizpuru, dev-l10n
Hi Julen.

For Firefox 57 the last date for l10n uodates was 1st November I think. But
from the phone it's hard to search through the list.

--
Michal Stanke

Dne 12. 12. 2017 7:34 napsal uživatel "Julen Ruiz Aizpuru" <jul...@gmail.com
>:

Francesco Lodolo

Dec 12, 2017, 2:06:24 PM12/12/17
to dev-l10n
Hi,
Sorry for the delay (currently traveling in US). Your expectations
about cross-channel are correct, in this case the problem is about the
technical deadlines to be able to ship anything in a release.

Changeset for eu shipping in 57 is from October 23
https://hg.mozilla.org/l10n-central/eu/rev/1010ee63a76a

Deadline for shipping updates to 57 was November 1st (that's roughly 2
weeks before the release date).

There are no other changes in Basque between October 23 and November
1st, they happened after the deadline (November 2nd)
https://hg.mozilla.org/l10n-central/eu/shortlog

Sadly, there's no way to ship updates to the release channel, new
strings can only ship to 58. We have been able to make some exceptions
in the past, but only at the beginning of the cycle and for very small
and significative changes (i.e. something was broken).

Francesco

Julen Ruiz Aizpuru

Dec 12, 2017, 6:17:23 PM12/12/17
to dev-l10n
Thanks for your replies folks.

> Hi,
> Sorry for the delay (currently traveling in US). Your expectations
> about cross-channel are correct, in this case the problem is about the
> technical deadlines to be able to ship anything in a release.
>
> Changeset for eu shipping in 57 is from October 23
> https://hg.mozilla.org/l10n-central/eu/rev/1010ee63a76a
>
> Deadline for shipping updates to 57 was November 1st (that's roughly 2
> weeks before the release date).

Okay, this deadline for shipping updates doesn't adjust to what I was
expecting. As mentioned, I've been purely relying on merge days as
listed in the wiki; does this mean I shouldn't?

As the 1st of November sounds new to me, and I haven't found
references to it on this list, I'm going to assume this date was set
on Pontoon. If that was the case, we should make this information more
prominent, and it'd be wise to automatize pinging people about
upcoming deadlines, so that surprises like these can be avoided in the
future.

Thanks again for your explanations and please let me know if I missed
any details.

Regards,
Julen.

Michal Stanke

Dec 12, 2017, 6:21:05 PM12/12/17
to Julen Ruiz Aizpuru, dev-l10n
Actually there are notifications for deadlines in Pontoon. Having them
emailed is generally next step for all notifications.

--
Michal Stanke

Dne 12. 12. 2017 17:17 napsal uživatel "Julen Ruiz Aizpuru" <

Francesco Lodolo

Dec 12, 2017, 6:43:05 PM12/12/17
to dev-l10n
> Thanks for your replies folks.

>> Hi,
>> Sorry for the delay (currently traveling in US). Your expectations
>> about cross-channel are correct, in this case the problem is about the
>> technical deadlines to be able to ship anything in a release.
>>
>> Changeset for eu shipping in 57 is from October 23
>> https://hg.mozilla.org/l10n-central/eu/rev/1010ee63a76a
>>
>> Deadline for shipping updates to 57 was November 1st (that's roughly 2
>> weeks before the release date).
>
> Okay, this deadline for shipping updates doesn't adjust to what I was
> expecting. As mentioned, I've been purely relying on merge days as
> listed in the wiki; does this mean I shouldn't?

Merge day is still relevant for content moving from Nightly to Beta.
For example: 59 is currently in Nightly, if you want to make sure the
first beta of 59 is fully localized, you need to translate all the
content available by that date. At that point, for 59 to reach
release, there are another 4 weeks available to catch up, but not the
entire cycle.

> As the 1st of November sounds new to me, and I haven't found
> references to it on this list, I'm going to assume this date was set
> on Pontoon. If that was the case, we should make this information more
> prominent, and it'd be wise to automatize pinging people about
> upcoming deadlines, so that surprises like these can be avoided in the
> future.

The date is exposed as deadline in Pontoon, and it always happens at
the same time in the cycle (2 Wednesdays before release).

In particular for 57 we tried to overcommunicate that date, e.g. in
https://blog.mozilla.org/l10n/2017/10/11/l10n-report-october-edition/

And periodically on IRC and Telegram. Apparently we didn't send a
reminder on the mailing list.

Francesco

Delphine L

Dec 12, 2017, 6:44:01 PM12/12/17
to Michal Stanke, dev-l10n, Julen Ruiz Aizpuru
FWIW it was also stated in the l10n report and we communicated it via
Twitter and Facebook as well

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 3:20 PM, Michal Stanke <mst...@mozilla.cz> wrote:

> Actually there are notifications for deadlines in Pontoon. Having them
> emailed is generally next step for all notifications.
>
> --
> Michal Stanke
>
> Dne 12. 12. 2017 17:17 napsal uživatel "Julen Ruiz Aizpuru" <
> jul...@gmail.com>:
>
> > Thanks for your replies folks.

> > > Hi,
> > > Sorry for the delay (currently traveling in US). Your expectations
> > > about cross-channel are correct, in this case the problem is about the
> > > technical deadlines to be able to ship anything in a release.
> > >
> > > Changeset for eu shipping in 57 is from October 23
> > > https://hg.mozilla.org/l10n-central/eu/rev/1010ee63a76a
> > >
> > > Deadline for shipping updates to 57 was November 1st (that's roughly 2
> > > weeks before the release date).
> >
> > Okay, this deadline for shipping updates doesn't adjust to what I was
> > expecting. As mentioned, I've been purely relying on merge days as
> > listed in the wiki; does this mean I shouldn't?
> >
> > As the 1st of November sounds new to me, and I haven't found
> > references to it on this list, I'm going to assume this date was set
> > on Pontoon. If that was the case, we should make this information more
> > prominent, and it'd be wise to automatize pinging people about
> > upcoming deadlines, so that surprises like these can be avoided in the
> > future.
> >
> > Thanks again for your explanations and please let me know if I missed
> > any details.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Julen.

Delphine

Julen Ruiz Aizpuru

Dec 12, 2017, 6:52:49 PM12/12/17
to dev-l10n
> Actually there are notifications for deadlines in Pontoon. Having them
> emailed is generally next step for all notifications.

Personally I don't monitor Pontoon as I monitor email or this mailing
list, so having them emailed would definitely be best.

Julen.

Matjaz Horvat

Dec 12, 2017, 6:54:17 PM12/12/17
to Julen Ruiz Aizpuru, dev-l10n
Pontoon Tools Add-On might come in handy:
https://addons.mozilla.org/sl/firefox/addon/pontoon-tools/

Cheers,
Matjaž

Francesco Lodolo

Dec 12, 2017, 6:54:35 PM12/12/17
to dev-l10n
Assuming you're using Firefox in your day to day browsing, I would
strongly suggest to install this
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/pontoon-tools/

Francesco

Julen Ruiz Aizpuru

Dec 13, 2017, 4:32:22 AM12/13/17
to dev-l10n
Thanks for the pointers folks.

As I see me being away for vacation and business during different
parts of September and October didn't help, the same way as in my case
trusting on the release calendar and the mailing list didn't.

Pontoon tools can be useful, even though I don't see myself using it,
for the same reasons I'm not interested in having notifications in my
browser from other services I use or projects I take part in (and yes,
I do use Firefox as my primary browser ever since Phoenix).

Regardless of my workflow, I still believe automatically emailing
deadline notifications from Pontoon would be best.

Regards,
Julen.

Eduardo Trápani

Dec 13, 2017, 10:12:38 PM12/13/17
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
I know you've tried hard to communicate over all those channels but in
my case at least the mailing list is essential. I rely on it.

If something needs to be overcommunicated, then I'd suggest the mailing
list to be the starting place anyway.

Or you can check with other localizers. Maybe others would prefer to set
the default (main) channel to something else. I hope we can keep this
one, and also tool independence.

huida...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2018, 2:21:08 AM1/4/18

huida...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2018, 2:24:16 AM1/4/18
在 2017年12月12日星期二 UTC+8下午9:35:01,Julen Ruiz Aizpuru写道:
Product info Item name MX312 toner chip Printer model for Sharp MX-260/310/264/314 Cartridge No. MX312 Color black Yield page 15k Versional Univeral MOQ 10piece Delivery Time within 1-3 days after receiving payment Shipping way by DHL,Fede

Product info
Item name MX312 toner chip
Printer model for Sharp MX-260/310/264/314
Cartridge No.
MX312

Color black
Yield page 15k
Versional Univeral
MOQ 10piece
Delivery Time within 1-3 days after receiving payment
Shipping way by DHL,Fedex,TNT,UPS,EMS,China Post, or as customers' request
Payment Western Union, T/T, Paypal
Packing 1/5/10/20/50/100 pieces in an antistatic bag and labels as your request
Guarantee the chips will 100% test before send out , we will replacement for defective chips in one year.
Nice to have a look at our website

And nice to see that you are looking at our products

It's quite pretty good to invite you to come to our site

So you can have a wonderful look at our site

Kindly sending us the inquiry if you are in need

We are the toner cartridge factory for more than 10 years

With so many years of producing the toner cartridge

We have gained a large number of regular customer

And win a good reputation

So that all of our customer are satisfied by our products

And give us regular order every month

All of our customers are of good quality

And gained a good products so called name

Thus if you are in need

Then finding us is your best choice to find us as your supplier

We will provide the best quality and with quantity of products enjoyed by customers

And Clients all feel comforatble

Thus if you are in need

Then you can contact us for more information

Feel free to contact us if you have any question

We are waiting for your earlier feedback

And you will get the pleased offer

Email: huida...@yahoo.com

Email: huida...@gmail.com

TEL:008613713294118