Guidance with a String.

Nootan Ghimire

Sep 14, 2016, 1:02:40 PM9/14/16
to dev-l10n
I came up with the following string while localizing:

The <em>twins</em> of Mammon quarrelled. Their warring plunged the world
> into a <em>new darkness</em>, and the beast abhorred the darkness. So it
> began to move <em>swiftly</em>, and grew more powerful, and went forth
> and multiplied. And the beasts brought <em>fire</em> and light to the
> darkness.

Now this contains markups in different places. Is it absolutely necessary
to balance out the number of markups in these translations? I'm asking this
because

a) We translate for meaning, so the resulting translation could be
different and thus the need to put emphasis differ.
b) Some words such as Mammon does not have a similar translation and
presents hard time actually finding similar thing that applies locally, so
it is better to transliterate this and I kind of want to put emphasis on
that transliterated word to make it clear that it was a burrowed word.

~Thanks,
Nootan Ghimire
Localization Lead,
Mozilla Nepal
nootan....@gmail.com

Francesco Lodolo

Sep 14, 2016, 2:00:56 PM9/14/16
to dev-l10n
Hi Nootan,
This is one of the hard strings to translate (about:mozilla).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Mozilla

Balancing the number of tags: they're used to highlight some specific
words, it's not mandatory to match the number of tags used in en-US, but
it's probably a good idea (you'd be missing one of the key words otherwise).

You can take some liberty in translating these strings.The language is
supposed to sound epic/apocalyptic. As for Mammon, not sure if there are
translations of the Bible you can rely upon:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammon

if there are similar figures that resonate in the local culture, I think it
would be OK to use that too.

Francesco

Nootan Ghimire

Sep 14, 2016, 2:04:56 PM9/14/16
to Francesco Lodolo, dev-l10n
Thanks for the prompt reply.

I have transliterated the word for the moment (and emphasized the key
words), however I think we will discuss about the proper translation of the
bible-specific word to match the local cultural reference.

Thanks.
--
Nootan Ghimire
http://cafecod.es/